Should I consider Atrio M5s a UM2 upgrade?
Sep 4, 2007 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Bull Moose

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, well I've heard so many good things about the M5s that I'm thinking of picking up a pair to either go with or replace my UM2s. Should I consider such a purchase an upgrade, or simply just a new flavor to add to my musical palate? I hear they are bassy like the UM2s but possibly smoother and not as shrill in the upper registers. Can anyone compare the two? Thanks!

ps. I at least know they are an upgrade in terms of value...

Sep 5, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 19
Hi!
I never used the UM2, I have followed the other route, going from lower to upper quality.
Went from Creative EP630, Crossroads X3 to the M8. I like the Atrio alot, even if I still fool around with the tips...

After 1 month of listening exclusively to the M8 I went back to the Koss KSC75 and their music was fabulous!

To answer your question I think it would give you another flavor of sound! Which is not bad! When I listen to some classic I go with the M8 and the sound quality and definition of sound is what I need.
When I want a more open sound I can go with the Koss...

What do the UM2 sound like? Do you have only one pair of IEM?

regards,

Sep 5, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 19
Yeah, I only have one pair of IEMs at the moment, but the UM2s are known for having serious bass (mostly due to their dual driver nature) but they also have harsh highs at times and according to others, the mids are a bit recessed. I've heard mostly that the M5 sounds good with most genres of music are are bassy and smooth. Would you agree?

Sep 5, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 19
They do sound great with bassy music but I've been most impressed by them with stuff like acoustic guitar - a genre I almost never listened to before getting the M5s. They can hit you over the head with their pounding deep bass, sure, but they can also pick out delicate basslines in music not known for having a lot of bass.

Bass is undoubtedly their strength but that doesn't necessarily mean there's a lot of it. They just manage to find it and make it sound good
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 19
Yes, I find the M5 being bassy and smooth. The sound is rich and round,i.e. mellow and ful in tone,sonorous.

For me it's a great addition. Sometimes I can listen to something else than come back to these.

For now they are the top of my list.

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #8 of 19
hello op. i came from um2 to the m5 and consider them an upgrade in every aspect other than the um2 seem a tad more intimate. however, they will show hiss in every source to the detrement of the music.

i find them to not however isolate quite as well, but they are just so much more natural. i feel like i am being enveloped by speakers rather than strapping monitors to my ears. the um2 is a good iem but it is too piercing in the highs and a bit slow in the bass. the m5 is not fast in the bass either but it does seem more natural.

i am not an iem person, i am a headphone/speaker person so an iem that sounds more like a headphone is something i was looking for until i found the m5.

you should like it.

i have meizu and as you know, meizu hisses like mad with um2 but atrio is almost listenable. with my supermicro iv, the m5 picks up not hiss from anywhere. great dynammic drivers! enjoy and don't look back - i sold my um2 and have been far happier since (about 5 or 4 months now)

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
however, they will show hiss in every source to the detrement of the music.

i have meizu and as you know, meizu hisses like mad with um2 but atrio is almost listenable. with my supermicro iv, the m5 picks up not hiss from anywhere. great dynammic drivers! enjoy and don't look back - i sold my um2 and have been far happier since (about 5 or 4 months now)

Hi!
i am using the M5/M8 with a Cowon D2, Cowon U3 and U2 and no hiss is present. I could not listen to music with them if a hiss was present.

Only degrade of music I discern is when i sometimes have to listen to music encoded in mp3. I think my earing is tuned to the ogg encoding!(lol)

The hiss of the meizu is the main reason I stayed away from it.

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello op. i came from um2 to the m5 and consider them an upgrade in every aspect other than the um2 seem a tad more intimate. however, they will show hiss in every source to the detrement of the music.

i find them to not however isolate quite as well, but they are just so much more natural. i feel like i am being enveloped by speakers rather than strapping monitors to my ears. the um2 is a good iem but it is too piercing in the highs and a bit slow in the bass. the m5 is not fast in the bass either but it does seem more natural.

i am not an iem person, i am a headphone/speaker person so an iem that sounds more like a headphone is something i was looking for until i found the m5.

you should like it.

Hmm... to my ears, the Westone UM2s don't have harsh highs at all - they are actually pretty rolled off in the upper registers IMO.

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... to my ears, the Westone UM2s don't have harsh highs at all - they are actually pretty rolled off in the upper registers IMO.

x2. Maybe what i'm hearing is the warmness of the UM2s though... compared to say the HD25s though, there seems to be far less treble presence for me

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #14 of 19
From the impressions I gathered so far, UM2 is superior to M5. Not my impressions, but I'd be hard pressed to believe that M5 is better from what people whose impressions I trust said...

Oh, and UM2 can get revealing of your DAP, but they are definitely not harsh. For acoustic instruments the only IEM that I heard sounding better to my ears was unreleased Westone 3 (well and I never heard any customs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back