Should I clean the inside of my old amps?
Aug 13, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 3
Depends how dirty they are. I'm sure a quick dust down wouldn't hurt (provided you're not using liquid cleaning products etc), but unless they are fan cooled. I wouldn't imagine they'd attract too much dust inside.

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 3
What do you guys think?

If you know what you're doing, sure. But note that if you have to use a liquid, make sure it's non-conductive, and you have to tear the board out and let it dry, and clean the chassis separately. Most vacuum cleaners and canned air regardless of which direction the air moves might be too strong and you can potentially move them and weaken the solder point.

To be absolutely safe, try to use a keyboard vacuum cleaner, the one the size of a shaving razor.

Depends how dirty they are. I'm sure a quick dust down wouldn't hurt (provided you're not using liquid cleaning products etc), but unless they are fan cooled. I wouldn't imagine they'd attract too much dust inside.

Some places are dustier than others (ie our house in California barely has dust on the furniture; house in Manila needs weekly cleaning to get dust off most of the house; even my desktop computer in Manila needs to get its air filter vacuumed every other week if I've been heavily using it while my brother in California barely cleans his, and he even runs the fan speed faster and has his computer on the floor) and can fall through chassis vents on amps.

That said unless there's something like a desert dust storm it should take years to accumulate inside a passively cooled device, even with open vents, unless a cat keeps siting on the amp (in which case it's not simply dust - it's kitty litter from its paws plus fur).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back