Should I cancel my K701 order?
Mar 27, 2006 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

hembergler

1000+ Head-Fier
Ahhh, I'm really freaking out about this. I ordered a pair of AKG K701's a while ago from Todd, which I would use with my computer. Well, they still haven't shipped, and now I'm having second thoughts about my order. I moved my amp and Stax to my computer, and have been quite happy with this set-up.

If I cancel my order, I would: buy an Emu 0404 for my computer, and probably stock up on cable and connectors to make some more DIY cables. (which I find extremely fun and rewarding) I might also save up the remaining money to buy a dedicated electrostatic amp, rather than taking the speaker output from my amp, to the Stax transformer. Or, I could also possibly buy the parts to a DIY amp. (assuming I ever finish my CMoy)

If I don't cancel my order, I would: End up with a pair of AKG K701's, which I may more may not love. If I don't then I would have to deal with the hassle of returning them.

I'm pretty happy with my Stax right now, and an upgrade to an Emu 0404 could only make things better. Also, I've really been enjoying making the few cables that I have so far, and with the purchase of the 701's, have no more money to fund this hobby.

Suggestions? Comments? Advice? Flames? Anything is appreciated.
icon10.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 19
I might be the minority here (and possible be flamed for it), but I would stay with the Stax. You seem happy with it, and cable/connector upgrades can only provide some extra fun to the hobby.

If you get the K701, you'll be starting out with nothing. It might be a waste now since you'll have no money left for a decent amplifier. A CMoy will most likely not propel the K701 ahead of your current setup. You can always go to the K701 or other dynamic setups when you have enough money for a good amplifier.
tongue.gif

Just my opinion. Hehe, good luck!
Venio

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler
If I don't cancel my order, I would: End up with a pair of AKG K701's, which I may more may not love. If I don't then I would have to deal with the hassle of returning them.

No offense, but I've never understood this concern, particularly with a reputable business like TTVJ that offers a generous 30 day return option. The ONLY way you're ever gonna know whether or not the K701 is the headphone for you is to LISTEN TO THEM. My advice? Wait for your order, spend some quality time with the K701, and if they don't float your boat a quick phone call to Todd is all it takes to send them back for a full refund. Tape the box up, print out a Priority Mail shipping label at www.usps.gov, and hand it to your postal carrier. Done, and it'll take a big 10 minutes of your time. Probably much LESS time in fact than you'll spend here obsessing over whether or not you SHOULD have given them a go.
icon10.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 19
I would purchase a better source than the EMU 0404. The quality of upstream gear is not commensurate with your headphone, so you will always have difficulty achieving desired results.

I would stay with the Stax and purchase an external DAC, $300-$1000.

-Matt

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
My advice? Wait for your order, spend some quality time with the K701, and if they don't float your boat a quick phone call to Todd is all it takes to send them back for a full refund.

Oh yeah. What was I thinking when I posted my post?
tongue.gif
The no hassle return service that TTVJ offers is good. Utilize it. Even if you don't like them, it's a new experience!
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I would purchase a better source than the EMU 0404. The quality of upstream gear is not commensurate with your headphone, so you will always have difficulty achieving desired results.

I would stay with the Stax and purchase an external DAC, $300-$1000.

-Matt

I would love to buy something nicer, but I really can't afford it. I'm on a 14-year-old budget here. Which... is rather small.
rolleyes.gif
Maybe an Emu 1212. Again, I would like to save something for cables, if I do cancel the order

I think I'll wait for them to come, and if I'm not absolutely 100% satisfied, then I'm returning them. Now that I think about it, without a high quality amp/source, it was kinda silly to order the 701's in the first place.
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 19
The lack of a suitable amp is definitely going to be a factor with the K701. Moreso I'd say (at this point anyway) than getting a better source. It's too bad that beautiful Affirmation of your Dad's doesn't have a headphone output!

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 19
Multimedia speakers or CMOY > K701 is a really imbalanced match imho. I would cancel and go for a cheaper headphone (K601, HD580, etc.) and a better amp. I doubt whether the quality difference between the cheaper models and the 701 will be significant within this system.

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
The lack of a suitable amp is definitely going to be a factor with the K701. Moreso I'd say (at this point anyway) than getting a better source. It's too bad that beautiful Affirmation of your Dad's doesn't have a headphone output!

Believe me, I know.
mad.gif

If I got the 701's right now, I would probably run them out of the Yamaha amp I have right now, until I got a more suitable amp, which might be a very long time.

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
I might be the minority here (and possible be flamed for it), but I would stay with the Stax. You seem happy with it, and cable/connector upgrades can only provide some extra fun to the hobby.

If you get the K701, you'll be starting out with nothing. It might be a waste now since you'll have no money left for a decent amplifier. A CMoy will most likely not propel the K701 ahead of your current setup. You can always go to the K701 or other dynamic setups when you have enough money for a good amplifier.
tongue.gif

Just my opinion. Hehe, good luck!
Venio

I agree with most of Venio's first post, not the second.
If you're pleased with the system you have, use the extra money on the cable hobby you enjoy so much.
I'm not putting the 701's down in any manner(I have some on order), but I don't believe the Cmoy is enough amp for them.
And I agree that TTVJ is a very reputable business and you would have no troble returning them.
I view this liberal return policy as a great favor to us. If you're very sure about what you want, place your order, but are very disappointed, then this is a nice safety net. But I don't believe in abusing it or it won't last.
Nice as it is of them to offer it, it does cause them problems.
No offence to anyone, JMO. Put yourself in their place.
YMMV
Enjoy....
Jim

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #11 of 19
I have the K701's which are now nicely burnt in. They sound just magnificient. This is in comparison with the DT880 and HD580.

K701 + Meager Headphone Amp of the DAC-1 + SB3 >>> DT880 + Gilmore Lite + SB3

I know there is the variable of the DAC-1's dac versus the Squeezebox 3's dac. But the K701's at this point are easily the superiors over the DT880.

I think you owe it to yourself to give the K701 a test drive. Let them burn in for at least 2 weeks before making your decision. You'll find they open up nicely, headstage and all.

Mar 27, 2006 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder187
I have the K701's which are now nicely burnt in. They sound just magnificient. This is in comparison with the DT880 and HD580.

K701 + Meager Headphone Amp of the DAC-1 + SB3 >>> DT880 + Gilmore Lite + SB3

I was under the impression that the DAC-1 had a pretty good headphone jack - probably better than a CMOY. And it's a really good source, worthy of the K701.

Mar 27, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 19
Depends on whether you are a basshead or an airhead:

as recstar24 sez: “A lot of headphone listeners can be divided into 2 categories, bass heads and airheads. Bass heads strive for deep hard-hitting bass whereas airheads strive for transparency, shimmering airy highs and an enveloping sound that features ambience and space. ”

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I was under the impression that the DAC-1 had a pretty good headphone jack - probably better than a CMOY. And it's a really good source, worthy of the K701.

It is a fairly good source. I'm not sure of what to compare the headphone amp of it against though. When compared to unamped out of the Squeezebox 3, the bass opens up, headstage opens up, no more shrill highs and flat sound. I have a feeling the DAC-1 to Gilmore Lite would have been a decent combo though, Glite should beat the internal headphone amp of the DAC-1. I never got to a/b so I can't fully say.

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 19
Again, if I got the K701's, I don't have any extra money remaining to upgrade either my source, Soundblaster Audigy ZS, or my amp, Yamaha RX-485, so that's the set up I'd be stuck with for a while. I'd also have no money for cables/connectors, which is something I'm growing fonder of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back