Should I buy this watch?
Mar 3, 2006 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

MexicanDragon

100+ Head-Fier
Hey... I'm about to get married, and am thinking a black Titanium band. I was out watch shopping the other day, and came across the Seiko SNA283. I'm in love, but thought I'd get some other opinions.

SNA283.jpg

What do you think guys and gals? I'm not thrilled about yellow gold these days, but this just looks great in person.

300$ in stores, 210$ online, 118$ on e-bay... if I get it, decisions decisions. Its been so long since I've had a seiko, I don't know if I should throw down the extra cash to get it from a store and have a warranty or not. Thanks for the input.

**BRENT**

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 32
I wouldn't like it for myself, but I could imagine that it fits to Mexican skin colour fairly well. However, that doesn't seem to be a Kinetic model, is it? And I don't know about you, but for my taste quartz watches that still need batteries these days really suck. I say: Go Solar/Eco-Drive/Kinetic!
smily_headphones1.gif
If you don't necessarily need the chronograph function, how about the something like the SKA325P1 or the SKA333P1, for example?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 32
I would be very careful buying any type of watch online. There are so many fake watches it's not even funny. It aint a deal, if it aint real.

Can you buy this watch directly from Seiko or does Seiko provide links to online authorized dealers? Or maybe a very reputable online store might be ok too.

What really matters, if you like the watch because you are going to wear it. I like the dial layout and styling. Yet yellow gold isn't me.

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 32
Hi lini

Thanks for the suggestions, but those aren't really what I'm looking for this time around. I have a similar seiko in Ti, (blue dial, gold accents on face, however), and I'm just wanting something a little... more.

A question about the kinetic/eco-drive/etc. I want a watch that will be very precise, and keep its time over the course of, well, time. I know of some being off 10-30 seconds a day, and that isn't acceptable. +/- 1-2 seconds a day is preferable, if that much. I'm so used to being late for things, I don't want any more excuses than I already come up with. I'll probably keep looking around though. I haven't worn a watch in about 2 years, so I'm also considering weight and balance between the band and the watch itself. So many i've tried are just poorly balanced, and I can't stand that.

I'm also open to suggestions of brands, where to buy, etc. I'm looking to keep it under 300$ this time. I'm into black/titanium, can also do tasteful blues. I want to keep away from yellow gold. I also like grey, I like chrono's, but don't HAVE to have one. I do, however, need to get in bed. I woke up with my 4 month old, and decided to play with my new darth beyers. They kept me up 3 hours, that's enough of that. Til the morrow...

**BRENT**

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I would be very careful buying any type of watch online. There are so many fake watches it's not even funny. It aint a deal, if it aint real.

Can you buy this watch directly from Seiko or does Seiko provide links to online authorized dealers? Or maybe a very reputable online store might be ok too.

What really matters, if you like the watch because you are going to wear it. I like the dial layout and styling. Yet yellow gold isn't me.

Hi. I'm sure I could find an authorized online dealer, I may go that route.

Personally, I can't stand yellow gold anymore, but in person, it works with this watch amzingly.

There are a few local dealers around, but they're wanting 300$ for this. It may be worth it, but I'm not a fan of some of the local places. I'll look around a little this weekend, we'll see. Thanks for the input.

Also, can someone please link me to a watch forum I can waste a few hours at? I'll probably hit up the watch thread later this morning, we'll see.

**BRENT**

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MexicanDragon
I want a watch that will be very precise, and keep its time over the course of, well, time. I know of some being off 10-30 seconds a day, and that isn't acceptable. +/- 1-2 seconds a day is preferable, if that much. I'm so used to being late for things, I don't want any more excuses than I already come up with.

Atomic watches are the most accurate watches on the planet because they synchronize daily (some atomic watches do it five times a day) with the US Atomic clock in Colorado via a radio signal. This means you never have to set the time, even when it's day light savings the watch automatically adjust with the (one of the) most accurate clock(s) in the world. Another cool feature is solar so that you would never have to change a battery. I really like my Jughans Atomic Solar watch, but it is about double. I know Casio makes some Atomic Solar watches too as do a few other companies.

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Hi. I'm sure I could find an authorized online dealer, I may go that route.

Personally, I can't stand yellow gold anymore, but in person, it works with this watch amzingly.

There are a few local dealers around, but they're wanting 300$ for this. It may be worth it, but I'm not a fan of some of the local places. I'll look around a little this weekend, we'll see. Thanks for the input.

Also, can someone please link me to a watch forum I can waste a few hours at? I'll probably hit up the watch thread later this morning, we'll see.

**BRENT**

If you like the Seiko, go to a local dealer with your best online price and try to get a better deal. When I went watch shopping I found a very low price online and took it to a few local watch dealers, I felt spending 20% more was worth the peace of mind that if I had a problem I could be back at the store within 30 minutes and that it was sold by an authorized dealer.

Here is a watch forum:
http://www.watchuseek.com/

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions, but those aren't really what I'm looking for this time around. I have a similar seiko in Ti, (blue dial, gold accents on face, however), and I'm just wanting something a little... more.

Hmm, would that look anything like this one?

SGD301.jpg

That's the one I have. Anyway, I really like the look of the watch in the original post.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

A question about the kinetic/eco-drive/etc. I want a watch that will be very precise, and keep its time over the course of, well, time. I know of some being off 10-30 seconds a day, and that isn't acceptable. +/- 1-2 seconds a day is preferable, if that much.

No problem there with Kinetic and Eco Drive (and solar watches in general): Those are quartz watches with all their usual precision - just the power source isn't a battery, but a solar or electromechanical generator.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Hey... I'm about to get married .....

**BRENT**

SUCKER!

Seriously, welcome to Team Married.

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 32
hey mexican dragon,
my own personal experience...you should always get what your heart was set on in the first place...because you will buy something else and still long for the seiko...saves me time and money in the long run
biggrin.gif

my only issue is where to buy it? 118 sounds fabulous and i dont think they make replica seikos but the low price does make caution necessary.

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Atomic watches are the most accurate watches on the planet because they synchronize daily (some atomic watches do it five times a day) with the US Atomic clock in Colorado via a radio signal. (...)

One would really hope so, wouldn't one? Well, my Casio Oceanus WaveCeptor Solar model OCW120 indeed does so - although it actually synchronizes with the German or British atomic clock signals. However, even if it does synchronize (it won't always work: if the reception isn't good during the several sync points, it'll fail to sync...), there seems to be a bug on mine, 'cause the minute indicator runs quite a bit ahead after a few weeks.
rolleyes.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
I think my store might carry the SNA283. I'll check on it tomorrow and see what it comes out to with my discount and all the manufacturer warranties would still apply
biggrin.gif

Ohh la la... thank you very much for czeching on this for me.

1911: This isn't the watch I was set on getting, to begin with. I'm a sucker for black metals though. I really don't like yellow gold right now, but I kept coming back to this. I wanted to try something other than seiko. The was a very nice bulova i was looking at, but can't remember the exact model #. It was in a "Stuff" magazine, and i fell in love with it. I'll have to go look it up again.

Ninja: Thanks... I'm trying to get all my toys in before its her turn. Fun, huh?

Fante: I KNEW someone had stolen my old watch. I want it back, PM for my addy! <g>

Thanks for the info guys.

**BRENT**

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
One would really hope so, wouldn't one? Well, my Casio Oceanus WaveCeptor Solar model OCW120 indeed does so - although it actually synchronizes with the German or British atomic clock signals. However, even if it does synchronize (it won't always work: if the reception isn't good during the several sync points, it'll fail to sync...), there seems to be a bug on mine, 'cause the minute indicator runs quite a bit ahead after a few weeks.
rolleyes.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sorry to hear about your atomic watch not working properly. Yet any type of watch needs to work properly to ensure it keeps accurate time. I've had my Junghans Mega Solar Titanium #016/2302.00 for about two years without any problems whatsoever. Yes, there is a limitation with Atomic Watches that you need to be in range of the radio signal, but that signal reaches nearly every sector of North America. My watch only failed to receive a signal three times due to severe atmospheric storms for no more than 24 hours, so only once during that time I needed to manually set the watch like any other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back