Should I buy the Yuin PK2?
Sep 17, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by chopstxxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, which is better unamped, the PK1's or the PK2's? I know the PK1's won't reach their full potential without an amp, but even unamped are they better than the PK2's?

I like the sound of the unamped PK1 better than the unamped PK2. However, with the PK1, I have to crank the volume up all the way past 75% on the nano and iriver IHP-120. At lower volumes, the PK1 sounds slightly muddy compared with the PK2. With a louder output, the PK1 reveals more detail and cleaner bass, though not as nicely if it was amped.

I think it all depends on what you want out of the earbud. The PK1 might be ideal if you like the idea of an upgrade path, where you can improve it's sound by adding a component. The PK2 would appeal to those who want a no-fuss approach to earbuds - just plug and play.

It's hard to go wrong with either. The PK2 is impressive, and may actually work better with a boosted bass unamped (as the PK1 would be too boomy for my taste).

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Just curious, which is better unamped, the PK1's or the PK2's? I know the PK1's won't reach their full potential without an amp, but even unamped are they better than the PK2's?

Out of my 1G iPod Shuffle, I prefer the Pk1. The bigger bass is definitely nice, and I can't really explain anything else but I've just had a better listening experience with them. Of course, that could also be me trying to justify the purchase.

The upgrade from amping is definitely nice, though.

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Thanks guys,

looking like I'll be adding the pk1's to my portable rig soon.

I think they are great, and work perfectly as an open air set of cans for me. Also, some posters report they get even better sound by using the bud covers from RadioShack, which are a little thicker. Haven't tried them yet. I use the donut covers, with a hole in the middle, rather than the ones that completely cover the driver. Try them both.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #20 of 26
i would say pk2, the instrument texture is really superb

Sep 20, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by seefeel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the isolation compare between the Yuin buds and the px-100?

I think they are about the same, depending volume, of course. Maybe the Yuins are a little bit better, since they do sit right in your ears.

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk and Coffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

to what IEMs or portable/"full-size"-phones are the Yuin PK2 comparable?
Better than Koss Porta Pro?
Source is Creative Zen Touch.

Thanks.

Hard to say, comparing headphone SQs is tough for me. And I guess I like a variety of SQs (Grado, PK, FS, Equation, even Ety, though I sold my ER4Ps). Someone else may venture a comparison, and there is a suggestion that the PK2s are comparable to the PX-100s. Never had the Porta-Pro.

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #26 of 26
i own PK2 and PX100, one thing PX100 won over PK2 is that bloated bass
PK2 trounce PX100 in clarity, detail, and i just like the forward presentation from PK2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back