Should I buy the Total Airhead amp for my Grado Sr-80i's
Jan 12, 2010 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Newtothelyte

New Head-Fier
Whats up Head-Fi community,

I just recently got my first pair of high-quality headphones with the Grado Sr-80i. I am excited to have them and they sound good so far, however I'm honestly a little disappointed with the bass (I'm a pretty big bass-head) and overall quality... I thought these were going to blow my mind but they are rather okay. Anyways, I was looking and researching throughout the internet and I found out that these headphones can sound extremely better when amplified. I am brand new to this whole thing so I really don't know where I am going with this but I wanted to know if I should buy the Total Airhead headphone amp. I don't have too big of a budget ($120's max) so I want to make sure I get the best for my buck. Are these a good buy? Is it worth it? Would you recommend anything else? I'm a little iffy because I really want to use the 1/4'' adapter but this amp is the standard 1/8'' jack.

Thanks,

Anthony

P.S - I am using my laptop as my audio source and it has a pretty decent sound card and all my files are in WMA format so I know its not the source messing me up.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Hmm Grados are known for not being bass heavy at all. Got a pair of sr60i's myself and i can definitely say that the bass isn't the reason to buy them :p Not sure how they sound amped but the bass would probably improve a bit from it.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 6
I think you'd be better of with a used Total Bithead. Same amp as the Airhead but includes a USB DAC. This will eliminate noise from you laptop and give you all-around better sound. I have had a Bithead for years, and still use it on occasion. Great little product.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 6
I would give Garys PA2V2 a go ,it works well with Grados, and is very under priced. I got mine for $51.00.Also the battery lasts forever. PS Also seems to give the occasional hand of god on your shoulder,basswize

Jan 14, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 6
I've had the 80 with the Airhead and it's a good combo and will add some bass impact for you. That said, get the Bithead as was suggested. First off it has a DAC whic will improve the sound from your computer. Plus, it has a USB. Another suggestion for your 80i is to get a set of bowl pad for them and do the tape mod. That will also increase the bass. Once you've done that, hopefully you'll enjoy them.

Good luck,

Ross

Users who are viewing this thread

Back