Should I buy the Grado S80, or AKG K 240 Mk. II ?
Mar 22, 2009 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

alexjholland

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post - glad to find a place where I can get some good advice on a very important decision!

Here is my situation:

- I own a pair of AKG K181 headphones that recently broke - they were decent for listening to music and did the job when producing, but I want a carefully chosen upgrade.

- I use a Microsoft Zune and listen to a mixture of heavy Drum and Bass and Rock music, usually in a high quality MP3 format. Artists such as Tool and Prodigy are regulars, so good thick bass and definition in the sound is important to me.

- I produce a mixture of breakbeat with electric guitars, but I have a full production setup with KRK RP6 monitors, so although I will use these headphones to produce music with occasionally, I will NOT need to rely on them for a proper mixdown.

So to summarize, which of these pairs of headphones are best for listening to heavy Rock/D&B for someone with a keen ear and a love of thick bass/reasonably high volumes, but especially sound quality!

They will be used for making music with, but this is very much secondary to my general listening pleasure. Also, I really don't want to have to get an amp to go with these.

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Many Thanks.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 11
For music productions, go with the K240MKl or the K70X...
beerchug.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 11
As I explained though, although I do produce and will use these headphones for this task in the evenings on occasion, I am going to use them far more for listening to music on - usually high quality MP3.

As I know the K181DJ very well, and found it handled both my MP3 and production needs reasonably well, any comparisons to this model would be very useful.

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 11
I have SR80 and I find them lacking bass for hiphop, maybe the the same with D&B. Check out M-Audio Q40, Equation Audio RP21(I have these and want the other 2 as well), Audio Technica ATH-M50 for unamped goodness. Depending on your budget maybe some Ultrasone.

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 11
If you are not planing on using them amped, i would get the SR80s; however, from personal experience, the AKG 240s sound more flat. Nevertheless, they can get grainy, something that the SR80s appear immune to.

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 11
I like my RP-21's for hip hop...a lot better than the k240's. K240's are more laid back and relaxing to listen to/with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back