Should I buy the Gigaworks T40 over the Klipsch Promedia ultra 2.0
Aug 19, 2008 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

amol

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I was wondering, if buying the Gigaworks T40 set would be worth it over the existing set of klipsch pm 2.0 ultra I already have. Is it worth the money and is it going to make any difference in the sound quality ?

Would appreciate if someone has actually heard both of them together and give their opinion.

Thanks.

Aug 19, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 13
T40s are ported design for stronger low end in lieu of a sub. More importantly you have bass, mids and treble controls on them unlike on the PMs which let you control only bass.

Other then that they are similar. Have not heard PMs properly - only once in store - so can't really comment as if I tested them side by side. I went for T20 finally as I wanted something smaller, good looking with good sound. PMs look early 90's
wink.gif

Maybe someone else here compared them side by side. A bump for you anyway.

Aug 19, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 13
Buy the Gigaworks. I had some the 2.0 Klipsch promedias, and while they may have done a redesign, the volume knob broke on it, causing the sound to come in and out as I wiggled it (and awful static). Apparently, it's quite a widespread problem, and Klipsch hasn't so much as lifted a finger for their customers about it. Anyway, I basically just threw those speakers away, and I was not happy about it. I'd advise you just stay away from them.

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 13
I didnt like Gigaworks T20...so i assume T40 mite not be that good also.

my Sony monitor speakers are too good & own all these desktop speakers..

once u have heard smthg superior..u ll never want to go back

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 13
I liked the Promedia 2.0 when I had them but mine stopped working after a year...the volume control became very staticky and finicky. I'd advise the Audioengine over either of these.

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by amol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already have the Pm 2.0, I just wanted to know if it might be worth selling them and getting a new set....

If you have the itch, why not pick up the T40's from someone with a good return policy and see if there is enough of a difference to warrant keeping them? If you like them, sell the PM's before the volume knob goes wonky on you. (I have an old pair of PM's and the exact same thing happened to mine--terrible static whenever volume is adjusted. BTW, I also have a newer pair of the smaller, redesigned PM's and they appear to have fixed the problem).

Aug 23, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 13
If your PM 2.0 is still working correctly, I don't really think the T40 is that much better. I'm go for a larger Audioengine A5 to make a real big leap in sound quality. But comfycan has good advice, buy it and try it...I'm sure there are retailers that have money back return policies.

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 13
I have owned 3 sets of the Pro-Media gear thru the ages. One 2.1 set suffered the volume knob saga. I had an iFi which really sounded nice until the amp went out shortly after the warrenty did. My last 2.1 still functions well in the hazardous zone in my teen boys computer room. Believe me, the bass still works well on that unit, and the volume knob works well when I go back there.

I personally think that the Promedia stuff sounds great when its in good condition. I don't think you will replace the palpable bass from that sub with some well designed ports and 2 inch drivers.

On the other hand, I don't prefer using a sub with my gear, and perhaps you are looking for a different sound quality/style than a 2.1 setup.

I agree with the trial suggested by Comfy, and certainly you should be trying any new system if possible. Listening to a system on the shelf at Best Buy will likely sound different than the same system in your house.

In the Promedia - Gigaworks - Audioengine price bracket the Audioengines seem to be winning the race for public opinion here. Although most all of these pale next to a good second hand amp and bookshelf speakers when you can find nice gear.

Aug 25, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #13 of 13
Desktop speakers aren't always the most enjoyable thing to disassemble and reassemble, but the volume knob problem on the ProMedia's is probably the same as on many of the old Altec Lansing systems where the solder joints on the potentiometer started going bad. Rewetting the joints always solved the problem. Likely, the same skull-duggery is going on in the PM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back