Should I buy the AKG K550 or is there something better?
Jan 31, 2013 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

pclov3r

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry for all my threads as I keep changing my mind! 

Should I buy the AKG K550 or is there something better for the same price $300?

Reading I herd that the AKG K550's have slightly recessed highs. I red that the K550's are better than the ATH-900X and that the build quality of the 9000X is crap compared to the 550's. Really put me off buying them.

I am using a pair of ATH-M50 and find the highs sometimes to much so this could be better for me. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 14
Beyer DT770 Pro Limited Edtion is $50 less and is a wonderful phone from comfy fit to a rich versatile sound. Highs are very detailed and clear, mids are present but not forward or recessed. Bass is similar to M50 but not boomy. Have not heard the 550 but the two are often compared.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 14
Hi!

Personally, I find K550 the best headphone under $300 in closed headphone category IF you are not looking for extreme bass. If not, the MDR-1R are good but it lacks soundstage and detail you have on K550. Really depends on what you are looking for.

Billson :)

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Reading I herd that the AKG K550's have slightly recessed highs. I red that the K550's are better than the ATH-900X and that the build quality of the 9000X is crap compared to the 550's. Really put me off buying them.

I am using a pair of ATH-M50 and find the highs sometimes to much so this could be better for me. 

I don't think you will find something that could be considered unambiguously better than the AKG K550s in this price range.

There are other headphones that no doubt will be better in some respect or other. So, which you choose will be down to what matters to you.

I am very fond of my AKG K550s. These are superb headphones indeed and it would be difficult to not be satisfied with them.

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 14
I pulled the plug and bought the AKG K550.

I offered $279 to an authorised reseller on ebay and they accepted. I believe i'll have them friday. 

I have a bigger head so I'm not worried about the seal. I had trouble fitting a hat that was bought for me as a gift that i had to return lol.

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

I prefered the A900X. Both are very good, although I wish the build quality of the A900X was more like the AKG.

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
I prefered the A900X. Both are very good, although I wish the build quality of the A900X was more like the AKG.

Interesting...wishing the build quality of a Japanese made headphone was more like a Chinese made headphone

it was only a few years ago, I recall much of the community was suspect of headphones (and other products) made in mainland China,
especially compared with products from Japan which had an unassailable reputation at the time

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #10 of 14
Interesting...wishing the build quality of a Japanese made headphone was more like a Chinese made headphone

it was only a few years ago, I recall much of the community was suspect of headphones (and other products) made in mainland China,
especially compared with products from Japan which had an unassailable reputation at the time

The 900 series from AT have always had complaints about build quality afaik - I think the A900X are an improvement, but they still have a ways to come. There are a number of Japanese made products (including ATs) that I would regard as better put together than the K550 - and I would honestly consider the A900X to be on about the same level; they each have quirks though.

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
The 900 series from AT have always had complaints about build quality afaik - I think the A900X are an improvement, but they still have a ways to come. There are a number of Japanese made products (including ATs) that I would regard as better put together than the K550 - and I would honestly consider the A900X to be on about the same level; they each have quirks though.

I certainly do not dispute that there are Japanese products better put together than the K550s, but it is difficult for me to see in what way they would be. The K550s are so well put together! :)

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #12 of 14
I certainly do not dispute that there are Japanese products better put together than the K550s, but it is difficult for me to see in what way they would be. The K550s are so well put together! :)

Yeah! And don't forget about the flashy polish on the earcups :D

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #13 of 14
I just measured the [size=small]circumference of my head and it's 24-25 inches roughly or 60-63.5cm[/size]

[size=small]I don't think I'll have any issues with a seal? [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back