should i buy sony mdr 7506?
Nov 25, 2008 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

taiwanesebrothaz

New Head-Fier
its 100$ include shipping, theres a cheaper model the v6 i heard is the same.

my two questions is:

a. is it worth spending this much on a cans?

b. assume i've only used... the earbuds that came with ipod, psp, and the 15$ mdr sony headphones.

is the sound such an big upgrade with these 7506 closed 'professional' cans? or should i just buy the regular cans and earbuds and not waste my money on this.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 22
You'll be amazed with what you've been missing if this is your first "real" headphone. El cheapo headphones, earbuds, and iems that we've all used in the past just don't do music any justice.

On the other hand, worth is a subjective thing. I gladly splurged out hundreds of dollars for my Stax which I find extremely worthwhile and it brings me many hours of fun.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 22
They'll definitely sound better than anything you've ever heard before. But, like anything else, you're going to have to pay attention to the music to hear the benefits. If you're going to be exercising or IM'ing your friends at the same time as you are using the Sony headphones, you're probably better off sticking with the cheap stuff. You'll need a quiet environment and a nice comfy chair to give them a serious audition.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by taiwanesebrothaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

a. is it worth spending this much on a cans?

b. assume i've only used... the earbuds that came with ipod, psp, and the 15$ mdr sony headphones.

is the sound such an big upgrade with these 7506 closed 'professional' cans? or should i just buy the regular cans and earbuds and not waste my money on this.

a) No, thats what this forum is all about. We usually try to convince people NOT to spend any money...

b) ... ah, ok there is the question... It all depends what you want, the 7506 are good headphones and I recommend that you at least give them a try.

There are a lot of other good phones in the sub 100$ range and a lot of people will tell you to look elseware, but it is basically all up to you. There is no BEST headphone but from my point of view the 7506 are good sounding phones.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

You should disregard the professional label of the 7506 because you won't be using it professionally for mixing and monitoring, and the Sony V6 is the same headphone with a different model name. If buying Sony in this price range, you should buy which ever of these you can get for $75 or less shipped. If you can't find that price now, wait until at least this Friday to try again. Are you considering other headphones in this price range?

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 22
Yes
Yes
Yes

But depending on your tastes, there might be better phones for that money. 7506 are monitor headphones, they have a flat sound signature. Personally, I like this, some people don't. In contrast, Grado sr-60/80 are said to be very active and "fun" sounding.

Even if you want cheaper phones, you can still get great sound on a budget.
Koss Portapro and ksc35/75, Sennheiser px100, and JVC HA RX700 can all be had for less than $40 and will bring your music to a new level

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes
Yes
Yes

But depending on your tastes, there might be better phones for that money. 7506 are monitor headphones, they have a flat sound signature. Personally, I like this, some people don't. In contrast, Grado sr-60/80 are said to be very active and "fun" sounding.

Even if you want cheaper phones, you can still get great sound on a budget.
Koss Portapro and ksc35/75, Sennheiser px100, and JVC HA RX700 can all be had for less than $40 and will bring your music to a new level

what does 'flat' sound like?

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 22
They only sound flat (meaning flat frequency response/accurate) from the lower registers of the male voice and up. THere is a small dip in the upper bass that is there due to the fact that these are made foremost for vocalists when tracking. They are the tracking standard. Some say because the treble is relatively flat that they're too bright. I personally think they are a great can for the price, and are especially good for genres where the vocals are primary, and where the bass is always very low/sub/mellow. This way the dip of the 7506's upper bass won't take anything away...

THink:

Erykah Badu
D'Angelo
Most Neo-Soul

^These sound great on 7506's, punk or other genres where the bass is on the high end of the bass spectrum, will not agree with these phones.

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They only sound flat (meaning flat frequency response/accurate) from the lower registers of the male voice and up. THere is a small dip in the upper bass that is there due to the fact that these are made foremost for vocalists when tracking. They are the tracking standard. Some say because the treble is relatively flat that they're too bright. I personally think they are a great can for the price, and are especially good for genres where the vocals are primary, and where the bass is always very low/sub/mellow. This way the dip of the 7506's upper bass won't take anything away..

^These sound great on 7506's, punk or other genres where the bass is on the high end of the bass spectrum, will not agree with these phones.

I listen to some punk and otherwise with bass to the higher end, and while I will say the 'phones don't do such music perfectly, I don't feel they do it poorly.

And the dip in the bass isn't really a bad thing. With the right recording, these cans will make your head rumble fine. But more importantly, bass is sharp and defined. It doesn't have to be overpowering to be heard properly unlike lesser cans

Yes, they do seem "bright" coming from headphones like you have (i just made the same move recently), but I'd imagine you'd get used to it.

"Flat" is an unequalized sound. Mids, Highs, and Lows are all balanced.

Just one thing. Make sure your music is high quality or these cans will make your ears suffer. They are not forgiving of low bit rate mp3s

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #13 of 22
So how will you guys say I get a studio monitor to sound like my HD555?

I like how those sounded. Just the bass was crap!!

Is monitors the best headphones for a normal person listening to music?

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #14 of 22
So with a balanced sound, what genres is the 7506 or V6 good at? Or can it play all musical genres with the same "authority" for lack of a better word.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

what does 'flat' sound like?

Flat sounds like no bumped up midbass or peaky highs or over bearing bass or prominent mids - a flat frequency response. That means at every frequency in the highs, lows, and mids, the loudness is even. This is what monitor headphones attempt to do, which can be considered by some as boring. Just depends on what you like and the actual headphones.

My modded JBL 410 Reference are bass heavy with prominent mids and the highs are weak. Sounds pretty good from my HotUSB1 with the music I listen to, but it definitely does not have a flat response. Monitors are designed for professional work, not for enjoying music. However, it just so happens that some monitors are very enjoyable with music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back