Should I buy Sennheiser HD800, HD700 or Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla
Oct 5, 2014 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

d4n13l831

New Head-Fier
I really want to buy my first pair of High Quality audiophile headphones but Im not quite sure which one to buy, I know these headphones focus more on acoustic instruments and vocals which is good because I like Rock (The Black Keys, The Beatles, Radiohead,) but I also really like Hip Hop so can High Quality Audiophile headphones work well with Kanye West  & JAY Z records which have a lot of piano, drums, acoustic instruments and synths, I know bass is neutral but can hip hop sound good on them

Oct 5, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 34
  I really want to buy my first pair of High Quality audiophile headphones but Im not quite sure which one to buy, I know these headphones focus more on acoustic instruments and vocals which is good because I like Rock (The Black Keys, The Beatles, Radiohead,) but I also really like Hip Hop so can High Quality Audiophile headphones work well with Kanye West  & JAY Z records which have a lot of piano, drums, acoustic instruments and synths, I know bass is neutral but can hip hop sound good on them

What amplifier(s) are you planning on using?

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 34
  Im not sure but maybe one in the $500-$1000 range

In that case, I'd consider the LCD-X instead. Plus for rock like The Black Keys and Beatles, I'd go for the Audeze cans.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 34
  Im not sure but maybe one in the $500-$1000 range

I was asking whether you have an amp currently you are planning on pairing with headphones?  HD800 is at the higher end of consideration, with a cost of $1500 per pair.  I own HD650s which may provide a lower priced option for you, at $400-500.  While I have paired the 650's with the Little Dot MK IV SE ($389, direct + shipping) which is an awesome combination, you may wish to consider a solid state amplifier, or hybrid.  The Schiit Valhalla is one possibility.

My suggestion is that you make two lists, one for headphones you are considering and one for amplifiers.  Research and read as much as you can on head-fi that you can.  Reviews and posts.  If you consider a combination of an amplifier and headphones that are within your budget, enter the name of that amp and headphone with a comma between, or the word "and", which should lead to reviews or posts indicating how well they pair together.  If a broad number of head-fiers support an amplifier / headphone combination, it should be worthy of checking out.   MacedonianHero recommended you check out the LCD-X and Audeze headphones.  Another set of headphones worth considering are the DT990s.

Head-fi.org is a very helpful community, with someone always willing to provide advice, or assist as move forward with your goals.

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 34
I'd also recommend an Audeze headphone, and also the Fostex TH-600/TH-900 headphones. They all have great bass, and are certainly of audiophile quality.

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 34
I'd also recommend an Audeze headphone, and also the Fostex TH-600/TH-900 headphones. They all have great bass, and are certainly of audiophile quality.

In support of d4n131831's question the rich bass of Audeze LCD-X great choice at higher price-point. If price range of $500 - $1,000 stated by d4n131831 referred to headphones, then TH-600, 900 reference quality headphones are in the sights. Toss in DT990 for an optional listen. Had asked what amp was intended for target headphones, since pairing might aid d4n131831's goals.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 34
The range was for the amp, and HD800's can go for $1500, so I think he could probably afford LCD-X's. You get much more out of your cans than your source, I think $1700 on X's and $500 on gear would be great value.

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 34
BRO THEY DON'T LOOK COOL - WHAT!?!?!?! THE X'S ARE SICKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK LOOKING!!!

I need to get back to work, lol. Haha.

Audition as much as you can!

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 34
I think that Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 with Burson Conductor SL would be a perfect pair but if you plan to run this from a Macbook do not install the Burson driver (actually you cannot) just enable usb audio on preferences. Satisfaction guaranteed (I bought the Beyers for less than 1000 dollars and so the amp (used, obviously).

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 34
Get the HD800. The Audeze LCD-X have similar sound, but not nearly the same soundstage as the HD800. I'd take the comfort of the HD800 over the heavy Audeze any day. I'm 6'3" and very fit, but I still couldn't keep the LCD-X and LCD-XC on my head longer than two hours without being uncomfortable. Kudos to those with shorter necks and stronger neck muscles.

And LCD series really are not very attractive visually XD

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #14 of 34
BRO THEY DON'T LOOK COOL - WHAT!?!?!?! THE X'S ARE SICKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK LOOKING!!!

I need to get back to work, lol. Haha.

Audition as much as you can!

Sorry for letting aside the topic but can you tell me how to change the image the moderators put on me? I don't like it. Thanks.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 34
I think that Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 with Burson Conductor SL would be a perfect pair but if you plan to run this from a Macbook do not install the Burson driver (actually you cannot) just enable usb audio on preferences. Satisfaction guaranteed (I bought the Beyers for less than 1000 dollars and so the amp (used, obviously).

I heard someone mentioned that T1 pair with Burson is too hard and bright ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back