should i buy PFEs w/ amp, or wait abit and buy some triple driver iem?
Jun 23, 2010 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

heynice

Head-Fier
so ive been reading on the pfe and it seems they sound very nice and some compared to the um3x when amped with a d10, which i already have and awaiting an lod for my ipod. my question is, would it be better to buy a pfe, and save 100s of $$ buying some 300-400$ iem? i can buy some decent headphones or speakers with that O_o, but really, i dont want to buy the pfes and a month or two later be like hmm, maybe i should have bought some 400$ iems
confused_face.gif

Jun 23, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 3
An amp won't work magic. If you're committed to spending the money, just go for the better IEM (the better IEM isn't necessarily a triple driver, btw). Then, if you're not satisfied with the way it sounds - maybe it can't get loud enough, hisses too much, etc. - only then consider getting an amp. Portable amps are vastly overrated here, the benefit they provide is relatively minor. So get the better IEM first.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 3
I have done the headphone and IEM toss around game, and I'm back to where I started with full size cans.  You can do the infamous upgrade-titus sickness that many of us have done and with withdrawals from time to time, or stick with a budget and call it good - for a while anyways.  The PFE are great IEM in both price and performance and you can't go wrong with it or many other earphones in the same price range.  You can also spend a little and get older top tier earphones like the SE530 and UE triple 10 for example, but again doesn't translate to better.    After going through many earphones and cans, I've realized like so many others who have advised before, desktop applications (full size cans and amps) goes much further than a portable applications for the same dollar.  Even though the top tier earphones sound great, when I step back and look at these small things and wonder is it worth $300-400, I get a little disappointed, but never at the Grados and Sennheisers cans. 

Yeah, I did the portable amp/iPod thing as well.  After buying/selling/trading I know longer own a portable amp and I'm content with my Cowon D2+ with FLAC and my Klipsch C3 which I just purchased again for the fifth damn time. 

Sorry if I winded my reply.  Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back