Should I buy Beats Solo HD
Jan 10, 2013 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

CrakkerJakk

New Head-Fier
I want to buy the Beats Solo HD because they are comfortable, isolate well, easy to transport, have a mic, and they look good. The reasons I do not want to buy them are the price ($199) and the sound quality. I do not mind spending $200 on a headphone but I would like to know that my money is not being completely wasted. Do you guys here at Head-Fi and all of your infinite wisdom have any other headphones that will give me good isolation, comfort, decent sound quality, folds up to a compact size for transport, with a microphone in a sleek looking on-ear design for under $200? As of right now my "Pro" list out weighs my "Con" list in my opinion. My main use for the Beats Solo HD will be watching movies from my Ipad, playing Battlefield 3 on my PC, I will also use them on my 24 hour airplane ride to China.

I own the V-Moda m80s but I am returning them because they do not isolate well at all and are not comfortable. I also owned the Brainwavz HM5 and I found them not to isolate well and uncomfortable.   I also have owned Audiotechnica AD700s and I know these are an open can but I did not like there lack of bass. My favorite pair of headphones are my Turtle Beach x11. But these are not portable so that why I am looking at the Beats Solo HD. I am also not interested in IEMs and noise cancelling headphones are also not an option because they give me headaches

Thank You very much to all who post their 2 cents.

P.S. I realize alot of posts may include hate for the Beats but thats ohk I will read your comments with an open mind 
smily_headphones1.gif

4178LE9kIXL._SY300_.jpg

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 14
Yes, we do, Audio Technica M50's. No mic though. You really shouldn't. If you can get headphones for less, but better in every way; Durability, sound, and comfortabilty. I own the audio technica ATH M50's, and I love them(with an amp). You could buy and amp and better headphones for less than those beats. I'm not gonna say that beats are, "Oh so terrible", like everyone else. But I will say there overpriced and they aren't the best.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 14
I was so close to buying the M50s one time but the reason I am looking for a comfortable on ear headphone that isolates well is because I wear glasses and around ear full sized headphones tend to push my glasses into the side of my head causing alot of discomfort. :frowning2: Otherwise without a doubt I would be getting the M50s

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 14
Noontec Zoro, look almost exactly like the solos, sound waaaaay better, fold up. no mic or controls though, but you could order one of v-modas control talk cables for just 15$ more. Right now the zoros are on amazon for 80$

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 14
Oh boy...no one has even mentioned the Monster DNAs.  Comparable sound wise to the M80 (just a bit more bass quantity) but light years more comfortable.  Same price as the Solo HDs as well and will destroy them from a build and sound quality standpoint.  You can usually demo them at Best Buy if you're in the states.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 14
I was so close to buying the M50s one time but the reason I am looking for a comfortable on ear headphone that isolates well is because I wear glasses and around ear full sized headphones tend to push my glasses into the side of my head causing alot of discomfort. :frowning2: Otherwise without a doubt I would be getting the M50s
Sorry to hear that. :frowning2: If there are any local dealers that carry them, check on if theyd let you were them in the shop. The pads might just be soft enough. Good luck to ya.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Sorry to hear that.
frown.gif
If there are any local dealers that carry them, check on if theyd let you were them in the shop. The pads might just be soft enough. Good luck to ya.

They aren't.  There are quite a few full sized headphones that work with glasses, but the M50s unfortunately aren't one of them.  You completely lose the seal.  A couple that don't: M-Audio Q40s, V-MODA M100/LP/LP2, Ultimate Ears 6000, Beyer Custom Pro One.  I've had them all and those are the ones that fit the best w/ glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back