Should I buy an AMP or a DAC/AMP in this case
Oct 20, 2023 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ShayzerPlay

New Head-Fier
Hey, I just got a FiiO K7 as Dac/Amp but I was wondering this :

I have an UMC202HD, and since I would like to be able to monitor myself during vocals recording in my DAW, I use the Main OUTPUT L/R of 202HD and plug it to Line IN of my FiiO K7. So when I use my DAW to record, I switch to "Line" mode on my FiiO K7, and when I just chill, play games, I switch back to "USB" mode on my Fiio K7.

The things I was wondering is, if the UMC202HD DAC is « OK » (like, do you thing that there is an audible difference vs K7?), should I just return the FiiO K7 and buy a Topping A30 Pro (so only an AMP and not a DAC/AMP) and use my UMC202HD as DAC, and also sound output for everything ?

After testing A/B between FiiO K7 DAC and UMC202HD DAC plugged to K7, I can hear that the UMC DAC has much more interferences and noise BUT that's only when I turn the volume really high (like not good for you ears).

During normal volume I almost (like really almost, that's nothing) cannot hear the noise. But I find that the FiiO K7 DAC is cleaner because it gives me better bass "quality" and a bit more details. But like I cannot really notice it until I focus really hard on what I am listening.

What would you do at my place? Should I keep doing what I do (switching between Line mode and USB mode for my DAW) or should I return the beautiful K7 and get a Topping A30 Pro to only use the UMC202HD for everything ?

What do you think ?

Thanks a lot for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back