Should I buy an amp for my K7XX?
Oct 4, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 23
You definitely should. If you're wanting a desktop amp you should get the Schiit Audio Magni 2. I've used these to power my AKG Q701, which they really shine from. From what I've read there isn't too much different from the Q701 and the K7XX which regards to sound quality. The Magni 2 costs $99 from their website excluding shipping and $120 from Amazon including shipping. You will need a 3.5mm to RCA cable in order to connect the amp to your computer.

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 23
  You definitely should. If you're wanting a desktop amp you should get the Schiit Audio Magni 2. I've used these to power my AKG Q701, which they really shine from. From what I've read there isn't too much different from the Q701 and the K7XX which regards to sound quality. The Magni 2 costs $99 from their website excluding shipping and $120 from Amazon including shipping. You will need a 3.5mm to RCA cable in order to connect the amp to your computer.

Sorry...but this isnt true(I should get an award for how many times i have to type this) the Magni Uber 2 is NOT strong enough to control the bottom end of the K7XX.The volume was plenty but the bottom end was not controlled at all.However when I used them with a more powerful amp they sounded great.

I still own my Magni Uber,the K7XX has been traded away because I own headphones that I prefer more and were getting no play time.

You def need an amp for K7XX,the Magni Uber 2 isnt the answer.

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 23
What amp do you use for yours?

I use a 1971 Sansui 881 to drive my headphones.I have two other vintage receivers,but I like the 881 the best.

I use my Magni Uber on my computer setup,while receivers are in-line in my home system.

Im sure other members here can guide you on appropriate dedicated headphone amps for the K7XX,or you can read the reviews here.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k7xx

Oct 5, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 23
  Hi all,
I was wondering if the headphone jack on my computer (24 bit, 192000 Hz I believe) is enough for my AKG K7XXs. Which amp should I buy ($0-100)?

Might be able to find a Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier, with in your budget.

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 23
  How about a DAC? Is my computer enough? I don't understand these things...

You not budgeting enough ($0-$100) to get a DAC (to go along with a headphone amplifier).

But this used Asus Xonar DX sound card ($40) would make a nice DAC, for whatever headphone amplifier you might get.
Should offer a better quality DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) function, for any motherboard that sells for under $200

Bravo Ocean headphone amplifier ($78.99)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222256105992?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 23

You not budgeting enough ($0-$100) to get a DAC (to go along with a headphone amplifier).

But this used Asus Xonar DX sound card ($40) would make a nice DAC, for whatever headphone amplifier you might get.
Should offer a better quality DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) function, for any motherboard that sells for under $200

Bravo Ocean headphone amplifier ($78.99)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222256105992?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have a motherboard (Asus Z97 Pro Wifi AC) with Crystal Sound 2, read something on tomshardware.com that said that I don't need a sound card unless I have headphones... still don't know if my mobo's sound card is good enough.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 23
  I have a motherboard (Asus Z97 Pro Wifi AC) with Crystal Sound 2, read something on tomshardware.com that said that I don't need a sound card unless I have headphones... still don't know if my mobo's sound card is good enough.

Your motherboard comes with a Realtek ALC1150 audio processor, the ALC1150 provides the DAC function.
Where as the Xonar DX's comes with a C-Media CM8788 audio processor and a dedicated CS4398 DAC chip.

You could get the bravo Ocean for now and decide about adding a DAC in the future.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 23

I have that same motherboard and can verify that, despite being able to power it better than most other devices, it doesn't compare to a dedicated amp.

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #12 of 23
Sorry...but this isnt true(I should get an award for how many times i have to type this) the Magni Uber 2 is NOT strong enough to control the bottom end of the K7XX.The volume was plenty but the bottom end was not controlled at all.However when I used them with a more powerful amp they sounded great.

I still own my Magni Uber,the K7XX has been traded away because I own headphones that I prefer more and were getting no play time.

You def need an amp for K7XX,the Magni Uber 2 isnt the answer.

The M2U is putting around a full watt of power into the K7xxs at 62 ohms, how is that not enough?

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #13 of 23
The M2U is putting around a full watt of power into the K7xxs at 62 ohms, how is that not enough?

There are dozens of reviews of K7XX here,and almost all of them mention the need for an above average amp for them.

There are also several members here who listen with their eyes,as opposed to their ears.

I am not debating you on what the specs tell you,I am simply a guy who used to have this combo and am reporting what I wrote above.

There is nothing wrong with either product,both are pretty good for their bang-for-the-buck value,but they simply dont sound great together.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 23

It is. People are wanting to push the k7xx to something they are not meant to be and don't understand what they are. Just because you use a more powerful amp does not mean you are acutely using more power. The maximum power that akg says you should put through them is 200mW.

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #15 of 23

It is. People are wanting to push the k7xx to something they are not meant to be and don't understand what they are.

wow...im glad you cleared that up for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back