Should i buy a vinyl player?
Oct 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hamset

New Head-Fier
I have never owned a single vinyl record or player. I'm wondering if vinyl records offer better quality than lossless digital audio? Is there really a difference in quality or is it just a novelty thing to own a vinyl player for home use?

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 10
  I have never owned a single vinyl record or player. I'm wondering if vinyl records offer better quality than lossless digital audio? Is there really a difference in quality or is it just a novelty thing to own a vinyl player for home use?

As someone who has owned many vinyl players in the distant past, I would say that it remains only as a fond memory. Early digital was terrible and there was every reason to hold onto vinyl. Now the drawbacks of vinyl are obvious not the least of which are the pops and clicks not to mention the cleaning rituals. Then there is the fact that every record no matter how well maintained degrades in repeated performance. 

I'm sure there are some die hard fans that might take issue with me, but I believe modern digital far surpasses vinyl. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 10
In order to obtain vinyl setup that matches or exceeds any moderate (say, even 180 bucks USB dangle-type DAC/amp combo) digital setup, you will be burning a lot of money, effort and education (yes, you have to learn how to set up vinyl properly).

I would only recommend if you have access to obtain/buy a lot of cheapy records (like 50 cents to a dollar).

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 10
Hi hamset,

I made the move to vinyl a year ago, and I don't regret it one bit.  A few things you need to consider before taking the plunge, in no particular order:

The two main advantages of vinyl, to me, are 1) music savings if you have access to cheap used vinyl as wnmnkh says, and 2) the ritual - nothing like sitting infront of the turntable with a glass of (insert favorite beverage here) and flipping records for hours...

Have a look at used record stores in your surroundings and see what prices and selection they have.

Also, in what condition is their stuff? No use having a good turntable is you can't find records in good condition.

Stay away from new vinyl unless you're a filthy rich hipster.  Those things cost a fortune.  Go for garage sales instead.

Many used record stores also sell used turntables which can be a steal compared to new ones of comparable quality - IF they are still in good condition.

Turntable setup isn't that hard to learn.  Vinylengine.com is a great resource, they have manuals for any old pickup, tonearm or cartridge you will find.

Automatic is nice to have, but nothing's free.  If you can live with a manual TT, you'll get more sound quality for your money.  (And you get more of the ritual experience as well...)

Once you have a good TT, your sound quality depends on how well the previous owner treated their records.  A clean record with no scratches will sound as good as digital.  (I'm lucky because classical music collectors tend to be especially obsessive about record maintenance.)

My story: I started last year with a $150 entry-level Technics SL-20.  After a couple of months I traded it in for an Ariston RD-11S which I upgraded with a JICO SAS needle, and fitted with new Linn springs.  Total investment = around $750** after which I was satisfied with the sound quality.   But since then, I have bought between 100 and 150 records at an average price of about $2.  The savings have paid for the turntable in less than a year.  (But somehow my wife doesn't see it that way... funny how saving can cost you money.)

** If you're not into classical music, you may need to spend less - classical is hard to render well because of the dynamic range (you hear the friction noise in the quiet passages, and the loud ones cause distorsion if your cartridge/needle can't stick to the groove so well).  On the other hand, my old receiver already has a phono input so I didn't need to buy a phono stage.  Your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 10
The short answer is if you are on any type of normal budget you will never match the quality of a standard ~$500 digital setup (including the headphones).  Now if you can spend $1000-$2000+ on a vinyl setup, then you can have the conversation
redface.gif

Give this a read in the meantime: http://www.audioholics.com/editorials/analog-vinyl-vs-digital-audio

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 10
The quality is definitively better,i made the jump ten months ago and i just don't listen to digital anymore.The problem is not the hassle,but the price of the audiophile records,

I understand the scepticism of some people,but why the very best DACs and CD players get praised for sounding ''analogue''?Enough said!

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 10
All you need is one of the latest Rega's or an equivalent competitor, a Schiitt Mani and a set of Pyst cables and you will have a system that will blow any digital system clean out of the water.
You don't have to spend mega bucks. But an RP6 is a highly recommended turntable that is a great bang for the buck with a cartridge fitted. It is also basically plug and play.
Digital simply cannot compete with the dynamic range of an LP.
You will wonder why you didn't do it earlier, but thanks to digital and exposure to quality music you have started down this magical highway. I have travelled it for over 50 years now and I am still discovering things. I too have re-discovered LP's and am pleased I didn't dump my collection.
I still enjoy my CD's and SACD's and I still purchase heaps of them. I spent over $5,000.00 this month alone upgrading cables for my Cary SACD player and spent an equivalent amount on CD's and SACD's. So I don't write off Digital and my gear is very good but LP is definitely superior in every way. 
 One piece of advice, don't choke your system by skimping on poor cables. I got a big shock last month on how important Power Cables are, I have always been a believer in quality interconnects and speaker cables but never understood the importance of the power cable. Power is power right? How wrong was I and I don't mind admitting it.
darthsmile.gif

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 10
Good vinyl on a good system will exceed digital playback....but you have to spend the money on the good gear. All in, I think $1k is the least you can spend, buying used gear. The ProJect Carbon Debut with all the upgrades an Ortofon Blue cartridge, and a proper phono stage like an iFi or a Hagerman, are probably the min.gear to get great sound.

What makes vinyl great is how it connects you to music, and to the artist, in a way that buying single tracks on ITunes never can. Because it's 22 min per side, you listen all the way through, and you focus on the album art and lyric sheets too, which tells you more about the artist and the musicians and songwriters.

A well recorded vinyl record on a good system is one of life's pleasures.

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 10
Mind you, there are vinyl collectors that do not have a player at all. I have a friend who buy collectors edition every week. I've asked him one time, he said he like the art in the album cover. Well I said why buy a painting instead:grinning:. Well I just want to say it depends on our own preferences and what would satisfy our small perks in life. Enjoy:vulcan:

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #10 of 10
I got into vinyl because some of the music I was interested in was never published on CD.
I am a big White Stripes / Jack White fan.  Jack White pressed a lot of music on vinyl exclusively via his Third Man Records - especially live performances.
I enjoyed the novelty of collecting "vinyl exclusive" albums.

....so that's my reason for getting into vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back