Should I buy a portable amp?
Dec 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

IIIAnubisIII

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have a question and would appreciate some advice. I'm also new to this forum, and I'm not very knowledgable about the technical side of things related to music. So please forgive my ignorance, and I hope I don't give you all headaches for asking stupid questions.

Well, recently I bought a Fiio X1 and a pair of HD 598 headphones. My music is all in FLAC format for a couple reasons. I mainly use the headphones and X1 together. I also enjoy using the X1 in my car through an Auxiliary cable. Occasionally I will use the headphones with my laptop.

I was wondering if you guys thought I would benefit from a portable amp at all. Obviously I don't have high end equipment. If so, what amps would you recommend? I'm not planning on buying one right now, but I may in the future if you guys think I would benefit from it.

Also, in case the genre of music I listen to is important at all, I listen to various types of metal.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I apologize for the stupid questions!

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 12
The HD 598 is a 50 Ohm can, but also has a high sensitivity rating.  This means that it will work at least reasonably well with most portable and low power devices.  However, it will also probably benefit from an amp and (in the case of on-board computer sound) a DAC or external sound card--both of which might be combined with a built in headphone amp.

I suggest you try your cans with someone else's equipment that includes an amp.  The closer the music file/source is to something you know well--the better.  Ditto with regard to the equipment chained to the amp.  Compare this to the sound quality you hear from your current equipment.

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 12
Do you need an amp? That's not the question.
The problem is not whether you need or not
Because, YOU ARE ON HEAD-FI NOW! Say your prayers to your wallet!
You'll eventually find yourself wanting an amp the more you lurk here, so I'd say just buy the FiiO flagship E12, JDS C5, Cayin C5 etc. Spend every penny you have, squeeze your hard earned money on any audio-related you want!
There is no turning back now!

On a serious note, the X1 will benefit from every amp mentioned above.

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 12
The HD 598 doesn't require an amp due to its impedance but in my research I've found that they benefit from one greatly. The Fiio E11 is a great option for a portable amp and will allow you so venture into higher impedance cans in the future!

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 12
Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate you guys putting up with me and my questions.

Testing someone else's equipment isn't really an option for me since most of the people I know listen to music on their iPhones, with Apple earbuds, with songs pirated and ripped from YouTube. I guess where I live, music isn't too important.

Do any of you know a way for me to jump back in time before I sign up on this site? I can see my wallet quivering already...

On a serious note, I probably wouldn't want anything terribly fancy. The Fiio e11 seems the cheapest one mentioned so far. I looked up the e12 one also, but noticed they have multiple ones will big differences in price. Also, what about say the Fiio e17 or e18 compared to the e12? By the way, I would like to spend under $150, but I would go a bit over if it was worth the extra money.

Thanks again for the help and for tolerating me! This forum seems pretty nice so far, especially considering I haven't been tied to a pole and burned yet!

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 12
Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate you guys putting up with me and my questions.

Testing someone else's equipment isn't really an option for me since most of the people I know listen to music on their iPhones, with Apple earbuds, with songs pirated and ripped from YouTube. I guess where I live, music isn't too important.

Do any of you know a way for me to jump back in time before I sign up on this site? I can see my wallet quivering already...

On a serious note, I probably wouldn't want anything terribly fancy. The Fiio e11 seems the cheapest one mentioned so far. I looked up the e12 one also, but noticed they have multiple ones will big differences in price. Also, what about say the Fiio e17 or e18 compared to the e12? By the way, I would like to spend under $150, but I would go a bit over if it was worth the extra money.

Thanks again for the help and for tolerating me! This forum seems pretty nice so far, especially considering I haven't been tied to a pole and burned yet!

I think Rozenberg was being slightly satirical. You can get the Fiio E11k and be just fine.I don't know much about Fiio's products above the E10k so I won't speak about them.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 12
If you are dying to have an amp, sell the X1 and get the X3. Same amp hardware as the FiiO E17. Much better option, IMO, than carrying around a DAP and an amp.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 12
By the way, I would like to spend under $150, but I would go a bit over if it was worth the extra money.

Worth or not depends entirely on you. Though the SQ difference won't be as big as buying better headphones.
For me, I love hearing slight details, which is why paying more for an amp satisfies me already. Even if it's really small, I love it.

I think Rozenberg was being slightly satirical. You can get the Fiio E11k and be just fine.I don't know much about Fiio's products above the E10k so I won't speak about them.

I was a bit serious there.
He could be fine with the E11K but who knows if he lurks more, he will want the E12 or C5 
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #10 of 12
I've had both the E12 and C5.  I didn't get to compare them directly but imo the C5 is easily better due to having much less hiss and much more spacious sounding.  That said, if I were you I would use that money to upgrade to the HD600 or HD650.  The X1 should be okay driving those 300ohm cans but later on you can get a desktop amp like a Magni 2 or Vali to drive it properly.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 12
Thank you all for the replies and tips. I'm not planning on selling my X1 though, since I like its form and interface. So far I'm leaning on the Fiio e11k, since it is cheap and would stack nicely with the X1. Are they're any other amps that would stack nicely with the X1 and are of a bit better quality?

I don't really have much money to blow right now. Someday though, I shall buy a nice DAP, a nice amp, and a nice pair of headphones. Until that day, I'm probably going to squeeze by with my little set up I currently have.

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 12
Thank you all for the replies and tips. I'm not planning on selling my X1 though, since I like its form and interface. So far I'm leaning on the Fiio e11k, since it is cheap and would stack nicely with the X1. Are they're any other amps that would stack nicely with the X1 and are of a bit better quality?

I don't really have much money to blow right now. Someday though, I shall buy a nice DAP, a nice amp, and a nice pair of headphones. Until that day, I'm probably going to squeeze by with my little set up I currently have.

The E11K should be fine.
As for better quality, there is a lot, only that.... Don't know if the price would fit.
I could only recommend the Cayin C5 since I have them and love them a lot. Sound is cleaner than the built in amp in my X3.
As for how it performs from other people's experience, Za Warudo (toki wo tomare) has written his short comparison (assuming he is talking about the Cayin and not the JDS Lab) 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back