Should I buy a headphone amp for B&O h6 2nd gen?
Jul 18, 2016 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ondicol

New Head-Fier
Hey guys

First of all, I don't have any knowledge over amps, impedance, etc

At this time I plug my phones (B&O h6 2nd gen) to an audio interface, a Komplete Audio 6, which is connected to the computer
I'm happy with the sound quality now, but sometimes I have to crank up the volume knob more than I would expect to get a loud volume on music.

So, what I want to know if an amp could improve both sound quality and loudness of the headphones

I record a lot of guitar stuff so I need the interface connected, but is it convenient to add and amplifier to my setup to improve sound on the headphones?
Does that make any sense, or would it be a money waste?

If the improvement is only a higher volume I think it does not worth it to buy one, but if it is both volume and sound quality, maybe it does

Thanks and sorry for my english :)

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 9
I'm happy with the sound quality now, but sometimes I have to crack up the volume knob more than I would expect to get a loud volume on music.

Headphones vary in impedance and sensitivity. So some are easier to drive with a source device than others. The important thing is to have enough power to drive the headphones for your average listening volume and dynamic peaks.

My rule of thumb is that if I can turn up the device so that it goes twice as loud in perceived volume (not notches or numbers on the dial) and it still sounds pretty good, then that means I have some extra room for dynamic peaks. Twice as loud in perceived volume is generally described at +10db, which is close to covering dynamics for a lot of music.

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 9
Hey guys

First of all, I don't have any knowledge over amps, impedance, etc

At this time I plug my phones (B&O h6 2nd gen) to an audio interface, a Komplete Audio 6, which is connected to the computer
I'm happy with the sound quality now, but sometimes I have to crank up the volume knob more than I would expect to get a loud volume on music.

So, what I want to know if an amp could improve both sound quality and loudness of the headphones

I record a lot of guitar stuff so I need the interface connected, but is it convenient to add and amplifier to my setup to improve sound on the headphones?

Does that make any sense, or would it be a money waste?

If the improvement is only a higher volume I think it does not worth it to buy one, but if it is both volume and sound quality, maybe it does

Thanks and sorry for my english :)
A amp would probably make it louder sound better not for sure depends on the amp in most cases. You have balanced ours on your interface so that could be a problem . Most likely you would need a balanced amp though I'm not sure on balanced outputs. You can fry a balanced amp trying to run a single ended headphone out of it. Yes it has a headphone jack that is single ended but not sure how the outputs will react if you don't go balanced to a amp. Balanced amps are not cheap but it would sound better . At a cost .

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 9
A amp would probably make it louder sound better not for sure depends on the amp in most cases. You have balanced ours on your interface so that could be a problem . Most likely you would need a balanced amp though I'm not sure on balanced outputs. You can fry a balanced amp trying to run a single ended headphone out of it. Yes it has a headphone jack that is single ended but not sure how the outputs will react if you don't go balanced to a amp. Balanced amps are not cheap but it would sound better . At a cost .

Thanks for responding this

Does anyone know if the balanced outs is a real problem then? What kind of connection should I go with to have a correct setup?

Also, is there a model in particular that you or anyone else could recommend that matches with my requirements?

My budget is between $300 and $400, I suppose I can do something moderately good for that money

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 9
I have the opportunity of a schiit magni 2 for a very low cost

Is this amp compatible with h6 + komplete audio 6? can i connect both of them to the pc without issues?
If so, what do I need for a correct connection?

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 9
  I have the opportunity of a schiit magni 2 for a very low cost

Is this amp compatible with h6 + komplete audio 6? can i connect both of them to the pc without issues?
If so, what do I need for a correct connection?

What was you final amp selection for your B&O H6s?  Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back