Should I buy a dedicated amp for low-ohm headphones just because of damping factor?
Dec 26, 2015 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Module

100+ Head-Fier
For now I have 0404 USB with built-in headphone amp (which 22 ohm output impedance) and Philips Fidelio X2 (30 ohm). Although, Fidelio X2 is low-ohm headphone, these claimed by community as easy for drive headphones. But because of low damping factor, I think for buying dedicated amp like O2 or something, which will be work in pair with 0404 USB. But... I don't know, is worth it? I mean, X2 doesn't need a powerful amp and my only concern is about damping factor.

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 7
Honestly straight out of a phone or computer would probably sound better than what you're using now. But yes, a low output impedance amp would sound much better. Damping factor plus it would send more current, which would help make the X2's bass tighter.

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 7
Honestly straight out of a phone or computer would probably sound better than what you're using now. But yes, a low output impedance amp would sound much better. Damping factor plus it would send more current, which would help make the X2's bass tighter.

What if I plug X2 straight to main output of 0404 USB? It would sound better than with such built-in amp? Thanks.

Dec 26, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 7
What if I plug X2 straight to main output of 0404 USB? It would sound better than with such built-in amp? Thanks.
im not sure what you're asking.

Dec 26, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 7
Well, 0404 have separate ports. I can plug X2 into main output port instead headphone port.

Usually those are much higher output impedance than the headphone outs, but I have no idea with that particular model.

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Module /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, 0404 have separate ports. I can plug X2 into main output port instead headphone port.

Given there aren't any other analogue outputs I assume you meant the speaker amp outputs when you said "main output port." Which is strange, considering this thread is about high output impedance, and these are around 25X higher than the headphone output impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back