Should I buy a DAC or AMP?
Apr 4, 2016 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

musicfan145

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks, I'm having back surgery this summer, and  I'd like to upgrade my listening kit a little bit to enjoy while I'm recuperating. I think I can redeem sympathy points with the wife to spend about $150-200, and I was considering either the new Dragonfly Black (and the necessary mobile adapter cables) or the Schiit Vali 2. I realize this is a completely apples-to-oranges (dacs-to-amps) comparison, but which of these do you think would make the most notable improvement to sound quality, given the gear I have (listed below)? Will the Dragonfly Black drive these headphones without an amp? What about the Dragonfly Red? Are there other options/combinations I should be considering?

My music tastes vary widely, as do the recording quality of my sources, but I guess I'm looking for a sound that is forgiving and not fatiguing. I'm really excited about the idea of getting my first piece of tube gear, but with the portability of the Dragonfly, I would definitely have more opportunities to use it after I recover from the surgery (especially if it is capable of driving my headphones without an amp). More than anything, I just want the most wow for the $$$.

Thanks for any advice, recommendations, or points to ponder!

Andy

--------------------------------------------
My current portable kit: 

Headphones:
  1. Ultrasone Hfi-580 closed cans (32ohm, 101db) for stationary use and isolation.
  2. Bose IE earbuds (upgraded with IE2 silicone tips) for portable use and when isolation isn't needed/wanted.

Amp:
  1. Electric Avenues PA2V2 

Sources:
  1. iPhone 6 (iTunes/Apple Music)
  2. Google Nexus 7, 2013 (Jriver/Eos/Jremote)
  3. Various Windows laptops
  4. iPad Mini

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 6
Possibly consider iBasso D Zero MK2.

Its a dac/amp in one, dual dacs, quite a nice sounding unit. It will also double as a portable amp when you don't wish to use the DAC section. Take a look at the thread and any reviews available. I've tried it myself, I was quite impressed.

Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/741541/new-ibasso-d-zero-mk2

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #3 of 6
My music tastes vary widely, as do the recording quality of my sources, but I guess I'm looking for a sound that is forgiving and not fatiguing. I'm really excited about the idea of getting my first piece of tube gear, but with the portability of the Dragonfly, I would definitely have more opportunities to use it after I recover from the surgery (especially if it is capable of driving my headphones without an amp). More than anything, I just want the most wow for the $$$.  
Thanks for any advice, recommendations, or points to ponder!

Point to ponder: Are you looking for the greatest upgrade potential in addition to the "most wow for the $$$?"

If yes, the Schiit Vali2 is the answer. Not only will the V2 be an excellent introduction to the tube world but it will also scale nicely when you upgrade either side of the audio chain, meaning DAC or headphones. Your next upgrades can focus on the DAC and HPs without having to worry about the amp being 'good enough.' I have the V2, and several bigger, better amps, and I am super impressed with the quality and performance of the V2. I've used it with a simple DAP lineout (FiiO X3II), but also at the other end of the spectrum with a Schiit Gungnir Multibit. 

You already have a portable amp, as good as many of them are, they cannot compete with the V2, at least not without spending far more than the V2. V2 will take you out of the world of opamp amplification and into the world of tubes and discrete component amplification. An incredible value.

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 6
I don't think you should buy a dac or amp because I think you should spend the money to upgrade your headphone or cables if you wanna the price under $200. Some of your headphones do not need dac/amp, like bose. I recommend you to buy a great headphone. It will increase the quality of sound more. Just my opinion.
best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back