Should I bother with Shure E2G?
Nov 29, 2006 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Dregur

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Audio-Technica CK-7's right now, and I have ultra-soft sleeves and a new minted PA2V2 coming sometime next week or so. I was wondering if it's even worth it to pick up a pair of the Shure e2g's.

It's sitting on a cart right now at a price of 65 bucks (good price that I've found), and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I mean, is it a step up from CK-7's? Completely different sound signature? I know it's more isolation, but is it worth buying a new pair of earphones? If not, is there a better option for less than 200 dollars (Christmas.
wink.gif
)?

Ah the daily struggle of posting at Head-Fi. I was gone for an entire year too, until I came back...

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 22
I am not familiar with the E4's but in the < $200 price range there are far better IEM's than the E2g's
Do yourself a favour and UPgrade. It will be less damaging to your wallet in the end.

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 22
me3

Nov 29, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 22
Fourthed.

I got a pair of e2c because of the price, but I wished I had saved and started off with UM1 or super.fi 5 pros.

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 22
the e4 will be closer in sound signature to your ck7 than the e2g will. yes the e2g has much better isolation and is a great introduction to iems but if you can afford it, you might as well go for the e4. when i had them, i thought that the ck7 sounded great but lacked isolation, which was very surprising considering its design. there are no visible ports on it so it was odd that so much external sound got in.

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fourthed.

I got a pair of e2c because of the price, but I wished I had saved and started off with UM1 or super.fi 5 pros.

I wish I could decide between the UM1 or the Super-Fi 5 Pros.

Also, I heard the E4's are bass lean...

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 22
My E2s get no head time anymore now that I have IM716s for knock-around travel use. The E4 is the sweet spot in the Shure line up IMO, not bass light at all, and just sings with a good amp (Micro/DM for example). ER4P/S is closely competitive, slightly different presentation from the E4. Definitely try the IM716 and if you need better, move directly to E4 or ER4, that would be my free advice.

Durability of the IM716 remains to be proven, they sound great but seem lightly built and do have more cable microphonics than the Shures. SQ trounces E2.

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
e2's suck. That pretty much sums it up.

They're not that bad... rough and ready maybe.

I replaced them with a set of E4s after a few months (damn this website - I'm trying to avert my thoughts from E500 / triple fi and customs) which are a lot more analytical and perhaps a little less fun.

Bass isn't bad on the E4, just a bit dry.

I've retained my E2s for emergency use (such as when my E4s went in for warranty replacement)

Nov 30, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 22
It was the e2c that got me back into the iem gig. My gf purchased a pair for working out, and I was quite surprised at how good they sound.(I had owned the e3c, twice, and never really cared for them)

To be honest though, I ended up going for the e4. The e2s just don't have the refinement I am used to and I am hoping that the e4 will satisfy on that end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back