Should I bother with a new sound card if I have the total bithead?
Jan 2, 2010 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BeNME

Head-Fier
I've had the total bithead for a while now and I love it, but I've got a question. The sound card in my laptop is the one that came with the laptop straight out of the factory. Would there be any benefit in getting a new soundcard or will my total bithead do the job?

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 5
If you're connecting the Bithead to your laptop via USB as you should be, then you're bypassing the on-board sound card. If I were a betting man I'd wager that the DAC section in the Bithead is better than whatever's inside your computer by a wide margin.

You probably can't "replace" the soundcard in your laptop anyway, as it's either integrated into the main board or is on a daughterboard. You could add an outboard USB soundcard/DAC, but you already have the Bithead. Unless you plan on adding external speakers and aren't satisfied with what you're getting from the computer, or you want some gaming audio functionality there's really no point.

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 5
For your audiophilic needs the total bithead can do the job. The only benefit of adding -another- external sound card, or at least what comes to my mind, would be better sound effects, 3D positioning and less CPU usage in games.

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your audiophilic needs the total bithead can do the job. The only benefit of adding -another- external sound card, or at least what comes to my mind, would be better sound effects, 3D positioning and less CPU usage in games.

+1.

bithead should be better than any/most onboard sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back