Should I be ticked or not?
Nov 4, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
but if you want to post about some commercial site selling a headphone for a good deal, post it in the headphone section, don't introduce confusion to some poor guy's for sale thread. If you don't want to buy, don't buy.

Quote Elnero:

If this person had posted it in my thread it would be against the rules but because he started a new thread it's fine and I get screwed.
=======

It seems in this case, the poster acted in good faith. If one is going to post a link to a sale, it can hardly be expected that he'll scour the forum to make sure a member isn't selling a used one.

Nov 5, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Quote Elnero:

If this person had posted it in my thread it would be against the rules but because he started a new thread it's fine and I get screwed.
=======

It seems in this case, the poster acted in good faith. If one is going to post a link to a sale, it can hardly be expected that he'll scour the forum to make sure a member isn't selling a used one.

daycart
You're right, of course. I just cruised over to the for sale section and saw the actual offending post. I can see both sides of it, though.

*shrug* As elnero said, it does seem a little rude if the guy posted the link right after he posted his ad. But sure, maybe he just didn't see it or didn't think elnero deserved to get his asking price for them when some guy was selling them new for that much.

It does almost highlight a need for a new thread (or a new web site if this is a conflict for Head-Fi) for bargains. Some of the DVD sites and a lot of other sites have a Bargains forum where people post about who has a good deal on whatever. I don't know of one specific to audio equipment yet. It'd be nice and it'd also be nice to not have those threads in the same area where people are trying to legitimately buy and sell stuff. Good or bad, they're simply two very different things.

Nov 5, 2002 at 3:46 AM Post #18 of 23
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
....It does almost highlight a need for a new thread (or a new web site if this is a conflict for Head-Fi) for bargains. Some of the DVD sites and a lot of other sites have a Bargains forum where people post about who has a good deal on whatever. I don't know of one specific to audio equipment yet. It'd be nice and it'd also be nice to not have those threads in the same area where people are trying to legitimately buy and sell stuff. Good or bad, they're simply two very different things.

[/size]That's another idea to consider. Since I just came across this post, I obviously haven't given the idea much thought yet. First thing that comes to mind is possibly requiring a minimum post count to even post in such a forum (if it was done at Head-Fi). This might do a lot to reduce/eliminate shill posts.

Nov 5, 2002 at 1:47 PM Post #19 of 23
Hey guys,

I thought this thread was dead and best left that way, oh well.

I want to add that initially I was like dusty, exasperated. I also sent a PM to the poster at the time and have since sent an apology. I feel fairly confident that the poster meant no harm and only wanted to alert people to a good deal. My, exasperation got the best of me and I should have calmed down and thought through the situation more rationally before sending a PM or starting this thread.

The one thing this thread has brought up is the idea of a bargains forum which I think is a good idea. I personally see the gear for sale thread as a place for members to buy, sell and trade their used gear, maybe I've had the wrong impression though.

Again my sincerest apologies to Irons82 and anyone else I may have offended,

Phil

Nov 5, 2002 at 1:50 PM Post #20 of 23
But still, it was kinda rude to post a 'better deal' on a thread. Hope it's all sorted out, I would certainly have been 'ticked'.

Nov 6, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #22 of 23
charge him an extra $30 for braking them in. and if he doesn't understand this then explain to him that your broke them in RIGHT! (how come no one ever asks how the engine was broken in when buying a used car? but they complain about gas milage or shift points?) collect the taxes while you're at it.

if it was on e-bay, look at the denon site - there's a warning about dealers sanding down the serial numbers. and of course there's the usual "imitations" (i even saw it on a motherboard at a computer show!)

if all he wants is a cheap hd580, there's a guy selling one, on e-bay, AS-IS for $40, because he says that there's an intermittent in one channel.
wink.gif

and of course i saw this great deal on akg k501's. problem was he wanted $30 for shipping
eek.gif

when i was contemplating the 501's, i found a site for $134. yet another site had a 30 day return guarantee even though they were charging $150. hmmmm.

don't get angry with him. congradulate him for being a smart shopper. send him a PM with the words "SHHHH" and a wink. and never think about it again. (of course that's negated with his seperate thread).

just add the words, "OR WILL TRADE FOR..." in your ad.
wink.gif

so, anyone selling yellow miatas today? i can't understand people paying higher prices than 'other places on the net' AND paying $10 for shipping. but it happens all the time. somewhere someone is paying $100 for senn hd570's. too bad they're $40 at fry electronics... and at least i was able to return the 570's.

you can always post in ebay and set your reserve price at exactly 1 cent under what you're asking for now. don't worry - you'll sell it. from what i hear, they're like hen's teeth. and the idea of buying what may be re-conditioned/repaired on ebay doesn't exite me. kinda like buying a book only to find out that it's version 1 and the version 2 books are better. yet a good marantz will always fetch a fair price
wink.gif
just say that you took care of it, always put in a bag at night, and played it under high volume.
wink.gif

and yes, i'd like to buy a nice used (broken-in) head amp. meta42ppl's with el2009's in a quad and no dc blocking cap, please. ac only. or all class-A. see, even when you know what you want there's no sellers.
wink.gif

what 'newbies' don't understand is the intrinsic value you've placed on it. (to them it's a one shot purchase. to you it was an upgrade). i don't know if it's 'like new' or 'never been abused'.
but as a buyer i'd be wary of any deals on discontinued merchanise because they could be returns or refurbished. the only things left may be dreggs. (remember the overclocking days when you'd seek out a processor with a certain creation date? or looking for sony v6's instead of v600's?)

laugh. live and learn.

it's like the story where a guy got divorced and the ex-wife sold his corvette for $100 to spite him.

$150 seems like a fair price (i haven't seen your add). but then i think that $150 would be a fair price for sr-325's on e-bay. (this coming from a man who was hesitant paying $150 for akg k501's but just paid $300 for audio technica AD10's without hearing them (1 review on the inet)).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
still listening to A-HA: living a boy's advanture tale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back