should i be suprised at this?
Oct 25, 2004 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tuatara

500+ Head-Fier
beautiful spring day and here I am sitting inside updating my record database.
Decided to listen to some music(my stereo is in another building), our soundcard is rubbish so I borrowed my sons panasonic discman and plugged in the W1000s, Wow..they sound good, better than I ever expected through this source. It's taken me twice as long to get the update done as I keep stopping to listen to the music.

I know they're a little expensive but are the W1000s a good answer for someone at work with a cheaper source. No amp needed, closed , pretty comfortable. They seem to be easier to drive than Grados with the same player, I'm running 4/5 on the volume knob and that's plenty

Tried lots of stuff from the Handsome Family, Al Green, Jimi Hendrix,Rodney Crowell to Black Star. The sound right through the frequency range is very good, bass in quite deep and controlled, nice midrange while the highs might be slightly recessed they're clear without any harshness.
This could just end up as my holiday rig.

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 4
W1000 works well with portable sources (similar to A900), but it works even better with a descent amp. I've noticed that you listed Perreaux SXH1 as your amp. Have you tried W1000 with SXH1?

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
W1000 works well with portable sources (similar to A900), but it works even better with a descent amp. I've noticed that you listed Perreaux SXH1 as your amp. Have you tried W1000 with SXH1?

Yes. But I much preffer the RS1 or come to that the SR225s. The ATs just seem a lot better through this portable setup, they actually seem more open .
Maybe they're just not a good match with the Perreaux.
I've been listening for about two and a half hours and that's the longest I've put in with the W1000s in one stretch.

Reduced to trying some of my daughters Nu Metal after going through sons rap, it's been an interesting afternoon.

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 4
Interesting. Based on my short term experience (less than a week) with Perreaux, RS-2 sounded pretty descent. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to try out W1000 on Perreaux so I can't comment. However W1000 is very versatile... it sounds pretty darn good without an amp and can be played at acceptable level at the expense of bass (little bloated/little lacking). When amped, W1000 produced very hard hitting tight bass which resembled Grado sonic signature. Of course, I still like my RS-2 for rock, but W1000 is nice alternative when you don't want an open phone in the office environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back