Should I be scared of airport customs?
Sep 11, 2005 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

vibin247

500+ Head-Fier
I'll be traveling in a couple of weeks, and I'm thinking of buying a cmoy amp to use along with my HD-280s and my PCDP for those moments of needed audio heaven. However, I've read that a few board members had their cmoys confiscated because they looked suspicious, or whatever. I'm going through LAX, so I'm guessing the security is quite anal about that sort of thing. Should I bring the amp along with me when I travel, or should it collect dust at home for the 3 weeks that I'll be gone?

Sep 11, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 15
take it in your checked baggage with a note that explains what it is and what it does because, and believe me, they will take a close look at it. I wonder where my CMOY is...
frown.gif

gs

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 15
This has been on my mind as well. One idea I have had is to take along information from the manufacturer's website (hoping it has a picture as well as a description of the amp). I would think that that would provide some comfort to the security folks.

Of course, that is not likely to be available in the case of a DIY portable amp.

Sep 11, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 15
Be afraid, be very afraid. US airport rent-a-security and the TSA doorknobs are among the most incompetant and unreasonable idiots you'll ever have to deal with. The basic rule of thumb is "if you can't afford to lose it, don't bring it". At best they'll let you through with your goods, at worst you'll be disappeared into some government holding facility on suspicion of being a terrorist. Leave the cmoy and anything else that does not look clearly store bought and legit at home.

Sep 11, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 15
i agree. the supermacro looks far more pro than a altoids tin with a led light and a switch. a few of us had our amps confiscated this way (including my friend on his honeymoon).

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 15
I have brought my Pimeta through airports several times without a problem. Maybe you should leave the chain hooked up (source amp headphones) so it is more obvious.

Anyway with the new expected TSA regulations (let you bring throwing stars on board?????) it should be easier, especially after today

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 15
My guess is you'd be at a higher risk if you looked the "type" (as in stereo) to be carrying around a dangerous object. Not to say that anyone can't be an evil person, but there are certain "features" airport jugheads seem to be more wary of atm. Apologies if I offend.

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 15
i wouldnt bring my amp with me. the hassle that will come with it is not worth it. you might get lucky and be able to bring it with you, or they can just take it away and you'll lose your amp.

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 15
I brought my META42 (in Hammond enclosure) last time I flew, and all my bags were searched due to the fact that my name (or similar spelling) was on a TSA watchlist. The guy who looked through my stuff called his superior over upon finding the amp, and I simply explained what the amp does and then they checked it for explosives. Upon finding nothing, they gave it back with no further questions asked. I have probably flown with my amp six or seven times and have never been hassled before. I guess I have just been lucky with my TSA encounters.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
take it in your checked baggage with a note that explains what it is and what it does because, and believe me, they will take a close look at it. I wonder where my CMOY is...
frown.gif

gs

I disagree on two grounds:

1) If you are no there to explain an item when it looks funny on an X-ray, then I am sure they will not bother to read a note, but just confiscate it;

2) I never put electronics in checked baggage, as it is at too great a risk to get trashed by baggage handlers.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
I have brought my Pimeta through airports several times without a problem. Maybe you should leave the chain hooked up (source amp headphones) so it is more obvious.

I agree with this idea (i.e., leaving it hooked up with mp3 player and headphones). Better yet, just carry the rig in your hands, and then place it in one of those plastic trays on the conveyor belt for X-ray.

The psychology here is not being afraid that you are hiding something. If you carry something in plain sight, then you exude confidence that what you carry is legal and harmless. If you hide it or bury it where it will only appear on a scanner, then you invite suspcision.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks for the generous replies guys. I guess I'm better off not bringing a cmoy since it does look like it might be a mini bomb. I could probably get away with something more "built" like a HeadRoom Micro Amp, but don't have the money for it right now. At least I'll have something to help drown out disgruntled passengers, screaming kids, and the incessant talking of chatty family members. Gotta buy more CD's though...

Sep 12, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #15 of 15
Only in australia are the customs guys criminal. I mean we try to bring 4 bottles of alchol into the country, fair enough we are only allowed 2. So they want $100 input duty on the bottles after we declared them. But the thing is we wern't even allowed to bring the 2 duty free bottles in without paying duty on them because they got declared.

If that isn't outright theft i don't konw what is. We are still having a tiff with the government about it. My parents aren't the type to accept things and tend to hold a grudge
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back