Should I Be Concerned/Worried Buying Headphones on eBay?
Jun 18, 2007 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

2.2gotboost

100+ Head-Fier
Should I worry about buying headphones, stated as new with warranty, in box, on eBay? I know that the manufacturer will not honor the warranty because they were not purchased from an authoized dealer.

Your thoughts.

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 19
I've bought an e3c off eBay. Shure replaced them twice with no quibbles (didn't even have to provide proof of purchase second time). Just make sure (har har) you buy from a reputable seller.

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 19
Depends how much you're paying for them. If you're paying a significantly lower sum of money because of the lack of warranty, then you are taking the risk, but for the reward of a lower price. The benefit of buying from an authorised dealer is that you always get the warranty.

However, there is also the proviso that some headphone companies honour warranties without proof of purchase. The two year warranty on my e5c was honoured when it transpired (via looking at the serial number) that unless I had bought them six months before they were made, it was a safe bet they were in the warranty period.

Basically, you may be okay, and the savings may be enough for you to warrant the risk, but it could be a bit of a gamble...

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 19
Mostly, eBay is very reliable. If a group of new phones/buds are being sold at cut-rate prices without their packaging, or Austrian/German/Japanese sales suspiciously originate from China, there's room for suspicion. Beware of bulk one-day sales. The EC7 has this issue periodically, as does the Senn PX100.

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 19
Most eBay sellers are reliable.
If you save a good amount of money, compared to buying new at a dealer, then I say jump on it.

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 19
I bought my UM1s on ebay from a reputable store. When the silicone began to come apart between the housing and the cord, I told Westone and they said theyd honor it. Sent them in last week and just printed out emails of my order confirmation, hope thats good enough.

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 19
Ive been less and less impressed with ebay lately and have made some pretty harsh comments recently. But, honestly, there are a LOT of honorable sellers. I would stay away from any seller with any feedback history of selling fake anything, be it headphones or other items.

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 19
I buy most of my headphones on ebay, but, um, hardly any of them new, so, i don't have much to add here.

If the manufacturer requires proof of purchase to warranty, you may want to check with them what they'd consider proof, and ask the seller if they'll provide it.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 19
This is just my .02, but I have had nothing but trouble lately with Ebay sellers. If it were me, I would absolutely NOT buy headphones from an Ebayer unless I had done business with the seller in the past or the seller had good references here on Head-Fi. Again, just my opinion...so all you Ebay lovers can put away the flame-throwers....
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 19
The most trouble i've had with ebay headphone purchases in recent years was mostly due to language barrier, and the fact that the seller not only didn't speak much english but seemed to be terrified of trying to read it.

Generally, I win, i pay, 'phones show up as described.

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 19
don't worry. lots of good sellers on ebay. as long as there is nothing shady in his profile or suspicious in the listing, everything should be fine.

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 19
It seems to me that there are fewer and fewer deals on ebay these days. The prices are generally about the same compared to reputable on-line stores. The biggest issue I have with ebay sellers is the HUGELY inflated shipping costs. Once you factor is that ($60 to ship headphones?!!), there are few bargins outside the second-hand deals.

Jun 21, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #15 of 19
I've came across one instance where the seller claimed to be an 'authorized reseller'. When I emailed the company making the headphones, they said they've never heard of the guy... so be warned, some people might be very tricky with their words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back