Should I balance my Gilmore Dynamic?
Jun 29, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
The XLR would be a tight fit and I would have to work around a hole that is already there. The toggles I bought ended up being huge and take up a ton of space behind the face plate.

I am not very concerned with balanced standards as the K1000 is the only headphone I know that comes with a 4 pin connector. I plan on DIYing any balanced headphone cables.

The 4 Pin Molex on the K1000 makes the most sense for a balanced/dual mono connector rather than the gimmicky double XLR's.

I like it alot, and will end up terminating all of my higher end cans with 4 Pin molex's if I like having a Balanced amp.

-Ed

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Is XLR a better connection than 1/4"?

1/4" actually seems more convenient since I won't need an adaptor to plug in regular headphones.

Do you have room to fit a small 1/4" jack like the Switchcraft one off to the side perhaps? FWIW, the Grace m902 uses those jacks.

-Ed

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #18 of 28
ummm which ones. Molex makes literally thousands of connectors. I.e. all computer powersupply ones. That's about 9 base connectors and they make about 2-5 different versions of thoes so ...

Personally I'd use XLRs simply because ... they're XLRs. Makes things look real pro when you need to use XLRs
icon10.gif
And becaue they are readily available from jaycar.

Now how about thoes 3.5mm 5 pin headphone jacks. I can find the plugs just not the sockets :S

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #20 of 28
Bridged or not ? My experience is the sound of dynalo was a bit thin with my K401 so I built the bridged version and recabled the phone to dual mono. As far as I rememeber the difference was fairly big. Now I am using the amp with a k1000 the sound is not bad only "thin" so I want to build a -bridged
smily_headphones1.gif
- dynahi.

Jun 30, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #21 of 28
Going from single ended to balanced is no small change. Indeed it changes some fundemental workings. The difference is incredible.

However what I think your Dynamid's shortfall with the K1000s is is power handling. It's my experience that you can never feed your drivers enough good clean power. Don't forget the power doubled when you added the second board.

Jun 30, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #22 of 28
You are probably right. Not enough power usually means firstly not enough bass. The k1000 has bass perhaps more than the 401 but the overall character is thinner so I am very curious to see what a dynamight can do with a k1000.

Jun 30, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #23 of 28
To drift more off topic from what I've gathered design and output wise, it's the best thing you could ever do for your K1000s.

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #27 of 28
The quadruple power and double distortion is from having twice the voltage swing which is too loud to actually listen comfortably.

Once the volume is turned down to the same level normal level, then you have twice the current flow capability and twice the slew rate. What I hear is more controlled powerful bass and speed over all.

The sound stage is better and more accurate from the faster speed. I'm currently using balanced XLR RS-1 headphones powered from my fully balanced dynahi circuit amp fed from a balanced XLR DAC1 source and balanced digital XLR RME 96/8 PAD connection.

Jul 2, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #28 of 28
The difference like I said before is incredible. At least it is in my system. Everything just opens up. There's just more music there and it's more enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back