Should I ask for an Entech Number Cruncher for X-mas?
Nov 21, 2006 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Cousin Patty

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently I'm using the USB DAC in my Aria to listen to music from my computer. Will the Number Cruncher be an improvement over the Aria's DAC? Theyre going for pretty cheap on Ebay so I was considering it. I'd really like to get away from the USB DAC if possible and this seems like a pretty good way to go. I've got an EMU 0404 soundcard. Thoughts?

Nov 22, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 11
Seems like side-stepping your sources to me. Both the Aria's DAC and your 0404 represent sources in a nice budget range, and with slightly different but quality presentations. I'm guessing that the Entech won't really move you forward, just give you another slightly different presentation in the same league. Save that money and make a larger jump when you're ready.

I've done some tests of the USB DAC in the Aria (I owned one for several months), VS. a 1212M and a Cyrus CD6. The Aria held its own against both with only a few details missing that for pure musical purposes weren't really missed. Source differences are hard to hear unless you know what to listen for. Mainly you want to listen for the small details, and decide how realistically those details are presented. I've only heard a few top-shelf systems where everything comes across perfectly. Work towards your comfortable level of audiophilia rather than continuing to pile on sources in the same category.

Nov 22, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 11
I just bought the Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 DAC new on Ebay for $60 & while I like its look & size, it absolutely did not improve the audio sound for my (non-computer) sound system. It made the sound a little too forced & unatural if that makes sense. The good news is you can usually turn around & sell these things at minor losses right away on Ebay. In this case, I bought it for $60 & sold it for $50 (I would have listed it higher but the guy I bought this from seems to sell them new permanently on Ebay for $60 & there is no way I could sell this without going at least $10 cheaper).

Nov 22, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 11
I actually think the Entech sounds like the E-Mu 0404 so I wouldn't bother. They both have that signature that I identify with "pro-audio" sound. I'm using it as an interim source until I save up enough money to buy something great. But for the price that they're going for on eBay, I think it's a good starter source. But since you already own the 0404 then it's kind of redundant.

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #5 of 11
Well I got the 0404 because i was originally gonna use it with a Storm Digital DAC. Since that didnt work out, Ive just been using it with my speakers. If the Entech's not any better than the Aria DAC, or if its more forced then Ill pass.

Nov 23, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 11
I find my Entech gives better clarity and separation than my 0404, the harshness with dance tracks from the chemical brothers sounds more controlled with the Entech, bit unfair to compare a internal soundcard with an external DAC due to the sheer amount of interference inside computers
600smile.gif

The difference was most obvious after I upgraded the DAC's digital coaxial with a glass fibre optical cable.

I've not heard the Aria-DAC before but I agree with the others, you should save your money for a more expensive DAC in a different league all together than both the Entech/Aria for a worth while upgrade.

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 11
I find my Entech to have better clarity & seperation than my M-Audio Audiophile 2496, gives the impression of more range in the upper freq's.

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 11
I am hard pressed to find the Entech making a difference with my Phillips DVP642, it does not seem better, worse or even noticeably different to the analog out, though it is somewhat louder which makes it seem more impressive initially but after I adjust for that it seems much the same. At $50 I am not complaining and it may come in useful in the future but it didnt make a big difference one way or another - YMMV

Nov 23, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for the info guys. I'll be looking for a different x-mas present then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back