Should head-fi start a cable box?
May 12, 2003 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ebonyks

Headphoneus Supremus
I know there are alot of people who would like to try out a bunch of cables that exist, me as well, and i've got an idea. Head-fi starts a cable box.

I'm working on some john risch designs, and i could always could do some venhaus designs as well. I think this could be a good platform for some head-fi'ers to try their hands at making some new cable designs, and allowing everyone to test them.

There's only one problem with this plan. Cost. Making cables isn't cheap, and a good set of interconnects can cost upwards of 100 dollars to make, which i'm willing to do, however, it also begs the question as what to do with the boxes once they're finished. Perhaps giving the cables back to the owners? Perhaps sending them to jude to earn a few bucks on a E-bay auction?

I'm curious what many of you think of this plan.

May 12, 2003 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 3
Not a bad idea actually. I do my own speaker cables and it would be interesting to see what people outside my friends circle thing about them. The cost is a consideration, however. First the cost to make them which is not that high for my speaker cables anyway and second posting. I live in Europe and posting heavy cables to US will cost about 15-20 USD, i.e. 1/2 of the material cost, ouch!

May 12, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 3
Great idea! I've found the existing information on the comparitive quality of DIY cable designs to be a little lacking, probably because there are so many out there and everyone has a favorite. If this could generate some consensus on which ones are best, it would be a great benefit to everyone.

Anyway, if this gets off the ground, I might be willing to kick in a couple of signal tape ICs. (Assuming that the pair I'm building for myself work well.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back