Shostakovich 2nd Symphony
Aug 4, 2009 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

KingStyles

Headphoneus Supremus
I am sure Im not listening to beethoven any more. I just started listening to shostakovich's complete works and just heard his 2nd symphony. At first I thought I had ripped it wrong but eventually a welcome sound of a trumpet broke through. Very unique piece of music. Is his collection going to have a lot more of these unique sounding symphonies/works?

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure Im not listening to beethoven any more. I just started listening to shostakovich's complete works and just heard his 2nd symphony. At first I thought I had ripped it wrong but eventually a welcome sound of a trumpet broke through. Very unique piece of music. Is his collection going to have a lot more of these unique sounding symphonies/works?

I'm afraid the 2nd symphony is probably the most 'modern-sounding' work in all of Shostakovich's oevre. You won't find that kind of dissonance again in any of the later works. This has probably a lot to do with the restrictions placed on composers by the Communist regime, where, depending on Stalin's whims, too 'modern-sounding' works were often called 'formalist' and not suitable for lifting the spirits of the common working man. That said, there is already the unmistakable Shostakovichian style in the 2nd symphony which you will find continuing in the 3rd and 4th symphonies (amongst many other works). You might also want to listen to his two piano concertos.

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 13
Right, the 2nd Symphony is the most "avant-garde" thing Shostakovich ever wrote (with the possible exception of the 15th Symphony, which is plain weird (Ivesian?) rather than dissonant). But if you're intrigued by the sound of the 2nd Symphony, you may find something you like in the music of late 20th century Soviet composers, in particular Alfred Schnittke.

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 13
I wouldnt want to listen to it all the time, but its nice to hear something out of the ordinary to break thing up a little. With that said, I probably wouldnt search out specifically some music that sounds like it.

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid the 2nd symphony is probably the most 'modern-sounding' work in all of Shostakovich's oevre.

I'd say fortunately! Not that I object to the modernity, but that was an experimental period for Shostakovich; I think that most people would agree that his mature works are better.

In some ways the influence of the government in Shostakovich's change of style is overstated. Even before the first denunciation, comparing the second or third symphonies with number four, or comparing The Nose with Lady Macbeth, shows that he was already moving back to a more traditional/tonal form. One real tragedy, though, is that he never completed another opera after Macbeth; I think he would have become a truly great opera composer.

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 13
Symphony #14 is my "favorite" overall...#5 and #7 are probably the most approachable. His two cello concertos are amazing...

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Try 4th, 2 piano version also very interesting

Interesting yes, But not as off the wall and all over the chart as the 2nd. I enjoyed the ending of the 4th. It kinda reminded me of a storm that faded off with reminents of rolling thunder on a dark night fading into the distance.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 13
I just checked my Shostakovich collection and for the symphonies I'm missing the 2nd, 3rd, 13th, and 14th. Looks like I need to buy a few more CDs so I can have them all. This thread has gotten me to want to listen to the 2nd and 14th.

Any recommendations for currently available CDs for the 2nd, 3rd, 13th and 14th? My current Shostakovich consists of Neeme Jarvi with the Scottish National Orchestra (on Chandos) and some by James DePreist with the Helsinki Philharmonic (on Delos). I was on a Shostakovich kick back in the early 90s. James DePreist was doing a bunch of the Shostakovich symphonies with the Oregon Symphony so I got to hear some of the symphonies live.
smily_headphones1.gif

The 7th and 8th are my favorites.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 13
I have this 27 cd complete set. It was recommended in another thread and so far its been worth the money. I dont know about individuals. Hopefully someone else can fill you in on those specific symphonies.
thumbnail.aspx

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #11 of 13
There are several good recordings of no.14 but my favorite might be a touch hard to find. It's a Russian recording on the Melodiya label from 1973. Rostropovich conducting, Galina Vishnevskaya and Mark Reshetin singing, Symphony Orchestra Soloists' Ensemble playing. Powerful.

The other recordings I own and can comment on are ranked in order here:

2. Haitink and the Concertgebouw orchestra
3. Jarvi and the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra

I'm sure there are many others worth mentioning. I went on a fanatical Shostakovich streak when I was younger and studying the cello. I strongly recommend the "new" Truls Mork recording of the Shostakovich cello concerti. There are also many other wonderful recordings of those works but I'd be happy with some of my old Rostropovich recordings and the Mork recording.

Cheers!

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #12 of 13
And don't forget to check out Mahler's music if you haven't done so... according to wikipedia Pierre Boulez called Shostakovich's music the second or even third pressing of Mahler.
darthsmile.gif
No matter whether that's true or not I guess you'll like Mahler.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #13 of 13
For number 14, I'd say get Haitink with Fischer-Dieskau and Varady as a 'European' version (using the texts in their original languages), and either Barshai or Kondrashin as a Russian version. I prefer Barshai in this symphony - it's a livelier performance and recording - but the Kondrashin cycle would better complement the modern recordings you already have. The only downside is that it's harder to get than the Barshai.

For number 13, either of the above cycles, plus, ideally, the performance by Kondrashin with Gromadsky. They gave the premiere, and this recording is probably of a performance a couple of days later (dates are unclear); in any case, it's incredibly atmospheric. Worth the slightly crackly sound and the effort of tracking it down (it came out on the Russian Disc label, and as far as I know has never been reissued).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back