Shorting ground on balanced headphone out (more power)?
Jun 25, 2018 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

drummerdimitri

500+ Head-Fier
Can it be done?

Reason being my headphone amp needs to be on max volume to get my 250 Ohm headphones playing the way i like em but since it has 4 times the power on the balanced XLR output, could I make a cable and short out the ground to get a more powerful unbalanced output on the 1/4 inch jack?

My headphones have to be re-wired internally to enable balancing which might be a modd I'm willing to do in the future when I'm no longer affraid to destroy them but for the moment I want to know if this would work or burn my headphone amplifier?

And yes my gain is on "standard" which is the highest it can be set to.

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 8
04419B20-0E50-4A31-BB3D-82E1CCCF7529.jpeg
No. The output of a amp is the output you have. If you are talking about balanced headphone cable into a 1/4” output of a amp won’t change anything. If you are talking about the above adapter.

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 8
No. The output of a amp is the output you have. If you are talking about balanced headphone cable into a 1/4” output of a amp won’t change anything. If you are talking about the above adapter.

No I meant i have a balanced headphone amplifier but i don't have balanced headphone so can i make an XLR 4 pin male to plug in to the balanced out of my amp and convert to a 3 pin female 1/4 inch jack to plug my headphone plug into?

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 8
Even a bigger no! That will most likely damage the amp.

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 8
You will have to mod them to do what you want.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 8
Can it be done?

Reason being my headphone amp needs to be on max volume to get my 250 Ohm headphones playing the way i like em but since it has 4 times the power on the balanced XLR output, could I make a cable and short out the ground to get a more powerful unbalanced output on the 1/4 inch jack?

My headphones have to be re-wired internally to enable balancing which might be a modd I'm willing to do in the future when I'm no longer affraid to destroy them but for the moment I want to know if this would work or burn my headphone amplifier?

And yes my gain is on "standard" which is the highest it can be set to.

You're more likely to damage the amp doing that than damaging the headphone with that mod. And no, having that short protection doesn't automatically mean it will continue to play - chances are it will protect the amp and stop it from working until it doesn't detect a short.

Jun 26, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 8
The amp has built it short protection so it will not damage itself.

Will ask the manufacturer about the possible damage doing this could have on the amp any way.

Are you sure that refers to deliberately shorting the XLR and not your standard electrical safety features (e.g. accidental shorts, lightning strikes, etc)? The latter is meant to protect you from being electrocuted or starting a fire... whether your device survives is a secondary concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back