shorter headphone cords
Apr 9, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #76 of 123
Quote:

Originally posted by Sugo
If a short cord ER-6 will be made, it would be really great to have an option for uneven length cord (right side longer than the left). Because a remote carries some weight and uneven cord can distribute some weight on the neck. Also it's much more convenient to clip the remote that way.

I understand many people complained about the old uneven cord with ER-6. But that was long cord. I think short cord with remote is a different story.

Thanks Etymotic for listening to end users' feedbacks.

agreed

Apr 9, 2003 at 8:06 AM Post #77 of 123
Quote:

Originally posted by d_wilson
With a tooling investment we could make a 90 degree connector with a built in stifening wire for wraping it over the ear...
The cable could be replaced on any of the ER-4P models. I would assume that it would be the same $50 charge that we have now. The headphones would have to be sent in for the change.

Sounds great, Don! I assume that these aren't actually in production, but when (if) they are, would there be an easier way to get the ER-4Ps in Australia (or any country other than the USA) with these cords? The idea of buying the 'phones from Headphonic Australia and then sending them to the USA and back doesn't really appeal to me for some reason....

If we could buy an "ER-4PA" or somesuch with this modified cord already fitted, it would be easier (as far as I can see) for anyone who doesn't have the 'phones and wants to buy them with the alternative cord. Is this feasible?

Thanks again, Don, for taking an interest in us little guys' opinions!
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #78 of 123
Quote:

The headphones would have to be sent in for the change.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Is there any way that we *don't* have to send them back for a change? I mean... what if I want them short for outside but when I'm back home I want them longer...

Is it possible to make it so that it's easily interchangeable by the end user?

Apr 9, 2003 at 8:39 AM Post #79 of 123
Quote:

The cable could be replaced on any of the ER-4P models. I would assume that it would be the same $50 charge that we have now. The headphones would have to be sent in for the change.

Would the modification affect the current prices of the ER-4 series? I might decide to get a new one altogether if it turns out to be more economically viable than replacing the cable.

Apr 9, 2003 at 8:41 AM Post #80 of 123
i would like a cord exactly like the "u" cord on the ex70 but short <2m with extension. i hate Y cords. when i use my ex70s i put the cord under my short all the way down to my remote for my iriver 350 in my pocket. the remote is clipped to my iriver black pouch, or my pocket. now that cord would be EXCELLENT i think. Y cords create too much cord noise and they weigh down on your ears. i would probably even order some er4s even though i dont have the money and im 17... oh also, if you could make those little prongs (blue and red) that poke out of the phones at a 90* angle so that they dont have the cord stick way out and create noise/brush up against stuff/ look like an eyesore. i would buy this phone. no matter what it took. i would buy it! one of the main reasons why i am tainted from buying the er4 is the cord.

Apr 9, 2003 at 8:44 AM Post #81 of 123
actually, the angle of the red and blue prongs are perfect because the etys shoot upwards into the ear canal, and at that angle the prongs actually shoot straight down.

For me, the etys are somehow perfect, from the front it doesn't look like anything's sticking out or anything...
wink.gif
I actually don't know why anyone would want a 90 degree cord for me it would just simply be poking into my skin.

Apr 9, 2003 at 8:55 AM Post #83 of 123
actually general consensus seems to tell me that i'm the one who's weird.

being weird is in line with how i am with most other stuff too, so it makes sense. haha.
wink.gif

but yeah, i've got some large ears so i guess that helps.
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #86 of 123
Don,

I like the idea of having a braided short cord for those who use remotes on their portable players, but i also understand people who may listen at home who desire a longer cord.

I don't know how financially feasible this is but, maybe you could just make the short cord standard on your models, and offer an additional extention in varying lengths( ex 3ft. 4 ft. etc) This way the earphones will be able to accomodate ALL(well, most) listeners. This way your earphones will be ready for people who use the earphones at home or on the go, or people who use your product in both settings.

I think this will give users all the options. They can use it with a remote( 2 ft short cord). Directly into a portable( 2 ft short cord + 2ft short cord) Or at home (2 ft short cord + 3 ft extension).

I also don't know if using an extention will degrade sound quality at all.

The other benefit I see is that you could offer the extentions in different resistances. Like a 4P to 4S adapter cable.

Take this scenario. I use my 4P short cord into my remote on my portable music source. But, when I get home I have a high quality system with a headphone amplifier, so I would use the 4P short cord + 3ft 4P to 4S extention cable. Viola! Best of both worlds.

What does everyone think?

Either way I look foward to a new design because my ex-70s died..time to upgrade!

Chris

Apr 10, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #87 of 123
I really like your idea, cdub. like the sonys, except things are of much higher quality and the extension cord can also double as the P->S adapter...
wink.gif

That would solve my problem of switching back and forth between cables!

Apr 10, 2003 at 1:54 PM Post #90 of 123
We tested the headphones on quite a few people to come up with the angle of the adapter so the cable would come straight down. In fact if you look at the pictures of the 90 degree cable on fixups web site you will see that the cable touches the side of the users face. This gets quite annoying quickly.

The only reason for the 90 degree connector (with a stifening wire), is so you can wrap the cable up over the ear similiar to the earhugger mod. We have produced a version like this for an oem customer and it does eliminate the cord noise completely. Unfortunately the number of people who would use the headphone like this is limited.

Still waiting for my next sample cables.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Users who are viewing this thread

Back