shorter headphone cords
Mar 24, 2003 at 2:56 PM Post #61 of 123
I have to jump on this as well.

I would definately buy a shorter-braided cord. Price wise, if it were less than $100 to replace it, an Etymotic did the replacement, count me in.

If not, I would sell my existing phones, and buy the new-braided version.

As you can see, I want this badly.

Mar 24, 2003 at 3:38 PM Post #62 of 123
don -

i remember talking to you about this when i visited chicago in december... looks like things are getting closer to a finished product. :)

from recollection, that braided design wasn't an attractive design. i know this is an audio device, and i'm not going for flashy, but i'd prefer to steer away from reducing the appeal of the product.

the microphonics bother me a little, but not terribly. the stiffness of the er4p cord sometimes pisses me off though when it kind of forms loops up to my ears from the shirtclip.

i vote in favour of a 2 foot cord, which would come in very handy into the md remote. please ensure that the plastic bit is very slim, so that it connect at the acute angles required by some remotes. the mzr900 remote is a good example of what i mean.

i hope things are well for you.

lucien

Mar 24, 2003 at 3:50 PM Post #63 of 123
i have yet to use my ipod remote simply because it is way too long for my current setup. i like being able to throw my ipod and stock carry case, and my 4s's pouch into my pocket and run out the door. most of this winter i kept the ipod in the pocket of my various hoodies and even then i had to wrap the cable into quite a few loops to make it suitable to walk around with.

a shorter cable is an awesome idea. i have two pairs of 4s's and i'd love to be able to switch one to a 4p and try that out with my various portables. the ability to order the cable and change it myself is also a plus.

[edit]: one other thing i just remembered. skippy came up with the idea of having the cable connector come off at a 30 degree angle from the headphone, so that the cord could be looped up directly over the ear. after i first tried using the etymotics this way a few months ago, i have not ever gone back to the normal way and i no longer use the shirt clip. i just wanted to hear your thoughts/ideas on that.

also, last week i received my second pair of headphones back from your company and your service is just incredible. i called and told my problem (one side was dead, stupid dog jumped on me then jumped down and ripped them both out.. ouch, stupid dog) and they gave me an rma number and i sent them in. not even a week later i received a package and found that they had not only replaced the broken headphone, but the left side as well.. FOR FREE! the service receipt says that both transducers were split, and i wonder if it was due to poorly packaged shipping or the second side had broken and i just didn't realize it. either way, thanks again for having such a well-run company and communicating with your "fans" so well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #64 of 123
Superbaldguy, Quote:

Wouldn't an short-cord + extension arrangement cause problems with impedance?

actually a shorter cord should make the headphone sound better. It is not impedance which contribute to the better sound, as even a 10 foot cord will only add about 2 ohms to the overall resistance. What will change though is the overall capacitance and inductance. the lessening of capitance should lead to a more vibrant sound (less smeared) to the same degree as removing capitors from the signal path in an amplifier would. if you replace a cable that has 500 pf total length (10 feet) with one that has 200pf, the overall sound should improve. see cards and equinox websites for details.

Mar 25, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #65 of 123
I use my ER-4P with a Sony MZR-700. A shorter cord + elimination of cord noise would be great, as I would like to place the MD player in my shirt/jacket pocket and have the cord at an appropriate length.

I second the request by barnaby1 for 'uneven length' cables that go round the back of the head. Much as I dislike the sound of sony earphones, their design is generally impeccable.

I find the current cord too short for home use and too long for portable use. Plus the microphonics are driving me nuts. I practically have to sit next to the hi-fi and not budge when the music is playing. These flaws are all the more deplorable when I consider how much I love the ER-4 sound and the isolation.

I'm glad Etymotics is finally addressing these issues. A flow of consistent initiative will definitely earn Etymotics my loyal support for many years to come.

Mar 27, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #67 of 123
Both projects are still in development. My next samples are about 3-4 weeks away. It will be at least 3-4 months before we have the final design, switch production at the cable house, and can switch over our assembly here.

For the shorter cable, the capacitance difference in 3 feet of wire will make a difference if we were transmitting microwave signals. Any difference at audio frequencies if subliminal informatino from the marketing departments at wire companies.

Don wilson
Etymotic Research

Mar 27, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #68 of 123
when it is availible will we be able to have our current ER-4Ps modded?

Mar 27, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #69 of 123
I think the braided cables are quite attractive, and look better than the normal straight cables. It gives it "texture" i suppose.
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #70 of 123
I think that grinch has raised a valid point - why can't the earphone end connectors be changed so that they are easy to loop behind the ears to reduce microphonics? From what I've read of the shure earphones, this type of design virtually eliminates the microphonic problems

Thanks again though don - great to see the companies taking an interest in us little folks!

Apr 5, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #71 of 123
Quote:

Originally posted by IZCool
I think that grinch has raised a valid point - why can't the earphone end connectors be changed so that they are easy to loop behind the ears to reduce microphonics? From what I've read of the shure earphones, this type of design virtually eliminates the microphonic problems

Thanks again though don - great to see the companies taking an interest in us little folks!

For now you can try the earhugger mod works great.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&threadid=7631

Apr 8, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #73 of 123
With a tooling investment we could make a 90 degree connector with a built in stifening wire for wraping it over the ear.

Unfortunately not everyone wants to loop the cable over their ears. For these people a 90 degree connector with a stifening wire would not work well.

The cable could be replaced on any of the ER-4P models. I would assume that it would be the same $50 charge that we have now. The headphones would have to be sent in for the change.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Apr 8, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #74 of 123
If a short cord ER-6 will be made, it would be really great to have an option for uneven length cord (right side longer than the left). Because a remote carries some weight and uneven cord can distribute some weight on the neck. Also it's much more convenient to clip the remote that way.

I understand many people complained about the old uneven cord with ER-6. But that was long cord. I think short cord with remote is a different story.

Thanks Etymotic for listening to end users' feedbacks.

Apr 9, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #75 of 123
Chalk me up for a 2 foot cord!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back