Shortening DT770 cable
Feb 9, 2008 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

h4n9m4n

100+ Head-Fier
I have the stock cable and its way too long. I don't think I'm ready for a cable upgrade yet (I don't think i'll hear the difference) and just want to shorten the stock cable. Should I shorten and resolder from the driver end, or from the plug end? im kind of leaning toward the driver end, but I'm not sure which is best. I want it to look exactly the same and i don't want to mess up the plug (the rubber cover thing seems hard to pull off). Which way is better?

Feb 9, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 9
I think it might be easier instead of dissecting your phones and unsoldering it up there just to chop off some of the cable, leave it like 6" longer than you want and buy a nice neutrik/switchcraft/canare plug and solder that onto the end.

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 9
Um..no. You can't save the original plug. It's molded and not designed to be disassembled. Also, have you ever solder?
BTW, there's no easier job in headphone DIY'ing than cutting the cord and soldering a new plug. Seriously, that's simpliest thing.

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 9
Nah, shorten it from the earcup end. i think the strain relief is even loose.

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Yea more or less now that I think of it both sides would get the job done, but taking apart your headphones would take more time and easier to screw up (soldering back onto driver could be potentially hazardous)

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 9
The Neutrik will look nice. Their 1/4" plugs use an internal strain relief that grips the rubber sleeving when you screw down the body so you won't need to use any heatshrink. They look better than stock IMO.

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I could've given you a step by step instruction on shortening at the driver end. It isn't all that bad. But then between all 3 Beyer DTxx0 models I've worked on about 10 of their headphones so I know them through and through.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Their 1/4" plugs use an internal strain relief that grips the rubber sleeving when you screw down the body so you won't need to use any heatshrink. They look better than stock IMO.

But they're too big and put a lot of strain on the jack. Also, they feel a little shaky-the plug have range of motion even if you've tightened the enclosure hard. Personally i dont like it's concept and construction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back