Short stutters with Oehlbach XXL DAC using USB A to B connector on my Asus notebook
Nov 8, 2015 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tumalu

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I have been using the above DAC for a while and the quality to me is very good. However, everytime now I watch an MKV or BluRay, Avi, Mpeg and no matter what audio and video codec it uses, there at a very random rate minor hickups in the playback. The sound switches to my notebook audio for a split second than back to the DAC and plays on. The connection itself is not broken, no USB connection errors or whatever. I checked all that just in case. Also the video playback stutters at the same length as the audio stutter.

This just happened recently and it seems to worsen over time. At first it happened once a day, now with a movie it happened one after the other. Quite annoying.

Anyone and idea what this could be and what can be done?

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 11
Well, so far I figured out ONE thing and one thing alone though.... that whenever now I seem to unplug the AC cord to my notebook (thus running from the battery) I haven't been able to recreate the phenomena again.

I also read somewhere for USB DACs to disable the "selective USB-Suspend" under power options. I did that, so far the minor noise I had before are gone too. It's much more clear now. But I still don't know whenever you put it on AC to charge the battery it will still have minor audio cut outs and stutters.

How can it seemingly having become a USB power problem while it did do this before? Like a few days ago? Nothing else has changed either...

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 11
Hmmmmm what I said before was bollocks. Just today I turned on my notebook once again and the same events started happening again :-/

Removing the AC cord didn't help this time. It was still doing it.

The only thing that helps is to "eject" the Oehlbach DAC like a normal USB apparatus and then remove the USB cable. Reconnect the cable and then turn on the device. So far so good again.... anyone can understand and explain to me what's exactly going on here?

Nov 10, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 11
I have determined so far it has to do with the "ViaUsbAudio.sys" driver under Win 8.1. It causes me blue screens now. Never had this before. So I am unsure what to do now... hope anyone here has had similar problems and could help me through it. Thanks a lot.

UPDATE: I have installed the Oehlbach XXL DAC on my father's older laptop with Win7 x64. No problems here. So it has to do something with my Asus laptop. But why did it work well in the beginning while nothing on my laptop has changed? Or might it be some kind of update that I didn't see? Or a USB WD 3TB Harddrive? I am not sure.

Hope someone can help me out.

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 11
Hey, I know this is a late reply, but I own the same and had little device and had a bit of initial trouble with it, as well.

Are you using a USB 3.0 port?

That may cause issues, as I understand it was designed to be used with 2.0, but haven't really tested this.

Are you using the most recent driver and firmware updates or the ones on the disc?

The ones present on the disc are older and may only support Win 7, depending on when you bought it. I initially booted it up with 8.1 and it had quite a few issues, so I contacted Oehlbach and they updated the driver, worked fine afterward on 8.1 and later on Win 10.

Also try changing your laptop power scheme to maximum performance both when plugged and unplugged, that may help.

Let me know if this fixes your issue :)

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 11
Hello everyone!

I have been using the above DAC for a while and the quality to me is very good. However, everytime now I watch an MKV or BluRay, Avi, Mpeg and no matter what audio and video codec it uses, there at a very random rate minor hickups in the playback. The sound switches to my notebook audio for a split second than back to the DAC and plays on. The connection itself is not broken, no USB connection errors or whatever. I checked all that just in case. Also the video playback stutters at the same length as the audio stutter.

This just happened recently and it seems to worsen over time. At first it happened once a day, now with a movie it happened one after the other. Quite annoying.

Anyone and idea what this could be and what can be done?
HI Tumalu,

I just want to ask you can the volume knob control the rca out?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back