Short Sennheiser PX-100 II review
Feb 10, 2010 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

audioqueso

100+ Head-Fier
I've owned the PX-100 for the past 7-8 years. I've own two pairs. First one was lost, so I bought another pair. The second pair I lost... again. My choices were to buy another PX-100 or the new PX-100 II. I went with the newer PX-100 II for two reasons.
1) I've own the PX-100 for so long that I just decided to give the new ones a try.
2) The carry on bag vs the hard plastic case. I wanted to give the bag a chance since I can throw my Sony MP3 walkman in there.

I soon as I received them, I played a CD with some of my favorite songs. Fresh out of the box, these are a really nice pair of headphones! It's more open and detailed compared to the PX-100. I remember the PX-100 being a darker/warmer sound. There is a DEEP bass extension from these little headphones. I was really surprised. And it's not really boomy at all. It was a tad bit at first, but it's improved with 24 hours breaking in. I expect it to tighten up even more after the break-in. The sound stage is so nice with these compared to the originals. It really sounds like you're wearing a much larger set of headphones. The one-sided cord is a nice change. The headphones seem heavier than the PX-100 in comparison (yes, they actually are heavier), but still feel very light weight. It also feels very sturdy compared to the PX-100.

I went running last night for the first time with the PX-100 II. I think they had a "safer" feel than the original PX-100's. The original was lighter, but also felt like it could fall off easier. The PX-100 II has a slightly stronger clamp. It's not tight, but holds on well. At the same time, the band also seemed heavier which felt a bit more obvious. When I use to run with the PX-100, I never really felt the headphones on my head. Last night I could tell the PX-100 II's were on my head. Nothing bothersome, I'm just noting that the PX-100's felt featherlight on my head compared to the PX-100 II's.

One good thing that I did NOT like was the bass. It thumps harder and stronger than the original PX-100. That's good in music, but it was just a tad bit too much while running. It may me feel a bit uncomfortable. Then again, this was the most bass I've ever heard while running.

The one side cord is a REALLY good change to the new PX-100 II. The cord never got in the way while I was jogging. It's also a different texture. It feels nicer. I also like the look much better than the original. That of course is subjective.

I really have no regrets getting the new PX-100 II instead of the original PX-100. These are really nice headphones for a cheap price (I bought mine for $55). Definitely recommended!

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 23
glad you like them. I thought about getting a pair myself, but you're saying MORE bass than the originals? That may be a bit too much thump for my liking. I think the original PX100s are a bit bass-heavy to begin with...

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 23
Not really more as in louder. More extension as in it goes deeper in frequencies. So take the same frequency range that the PX-100 had, and add deeper bass. Though they play lower, they are not as dark sounding as the original PX-100.

One thing I noticed last night was how much more I can hear from these. For the past couple of years, I've listened to the same songs while at the gym or jogging. I have a playlist labeled "Gym". I only add 1-2 songs every now and then. It only has like 30 songs. So I've heard all these songs a ton of times with my PX-100. When I was running last night, I heard a lot of background instrumental and vocals with the PX-100 II that I had not heard before with the original PX-100. Just something I forgot to add.

Feb 10, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 23
Glad you like them. Seem the 200 series wasn't the only one to make a nice improvement! I know they're different headphones, but the 200s also have a very impressive soundstage for their size. I suspect they did some awesome work resisting resonance, because these have better soundstage than any other closed phone I've heard yet.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninja_racoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read a review said its better than sr60, is that true?

Not sure if you mean the px100II or the HD238, in either case, the answer would be no (in my opinion)
Edit: Not to say the PX100II or hd238 are bad, just not up to the sr60 for most music tastes.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioqueso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scroll up.

confused_face(1).gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninja_racoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@the search never ends - what do you think is better, px100-II or hd238?

As a portable.... the px100.....The hd 238 is not the same sound, brighter and more forward...the px100 slightly dark compared to the hd 238, For the most part I give a small nod to the px100.

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 23
thanks for this review. im bored with my Porta pros and my pmx 100's really hurt my ear, i was thinking about buying the px 100 II's but was in doubt. i will probably buy them.

if you have ever tried the pmx 100's or the porta pros, would you say the PX 100 II's is noticeably better than both?

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 23
The first PX-100 was from 2002. The second pair was purchased sometime after 2007. And now the PX-100 II.

Just a little update...
I've been using these PX-100 II for over a month now, mostly at the gym. I made a comment about the bass at the gym at that time. Well, after a month things have changed. I'm not sure if my ears adapted to it, or if just needed more break-in time. Well, same playlist, same songs. I walk into the gym, I put on my headphones, and start the music. Lately, every time I hit play, it gives me such a great feeling. This small headphones give such a great soundstage that it feels like you're in a room with a bunch of speakers as oppose to just headphones.

An hour or two later, I don't feel the bass effect that I posted a month ago. However, wearing them for close to two hours start to hurt my ears. Not because of the sound, but they squeeze my head too much. But then again, I wear them kind of tight in the gym so that they don't fall off. So it may just be me.

But sound quality wise, I prefer these a lot more than the previous PX-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back