Short Review: Ultrasone HFI-650 DVD Edition
Apr 13, 2003 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

El Scorcho

Head-Fier
My Ultrasone HFI-650 DVD Edition (DE) came this Friday, and I just finished running it in.

The very first time I put it on, I found the press release to be very true: this thing really packs in more where the lower frequencies are concerned, but I found it too boomy for comfort.

24 hours later: The detail and soundstage have opened up quite a bit, but still boomy. I'm getting worried.

48 hours later: Most of the boominess is gone, and the sound seems to have settled nicely into the same level of performance as the HFI-650 Trackmaster ( TM ), except that the bass response is better. Despite Jan Meier's opinion that the gain in bass response results in a slight loss in detail, I find the same level of detail in both versions of the HFI-650.

72 hours later: The verdict? The difference between the TM and the DE can be likened to the difference between the Grado SR60 and the SR80. Between the two, I like the DE more. The TM is still a very good sounding headphone, but I'd definitely trade it up for the increased bass response from the DE. The boominess is now gone; the bass is perceptibly more pronounced, but tight and controlled.

That's not all. The DE also provides a better deal: it comes fixed with a 1/4" jack (more convenient for home users compared to the fixed 1/8" jack for the TM) but a 1/8" adaptor is also provided, together with a 4m long extension cord. And all this for a slight increase in price (compared to the bigger price jump from SR60 to SR80).

Also, the light gold hue to the driver housing gives it a slight edge to the gray TM in terms of esthetics.

Other than what I have mentioned, both the TM and DE have the same build quality and features.

OK, that's it. Happy listening, ya'll.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 10
Thanks for that review El Scorcho. I was wondering about the difference between the 650's. After Jan review I though that the DVD version probably wasn't for me but after reading your short review I may decide to go for it over the standad version.

Wordsworth

Apr 13, 2003 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
Thanks...I have been waiting for more reviews of these DVD geared phones. Would you considert them portable?
john

They fold up just like the TrackMaster, so I would say yes.

Apr 14, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 10
Any idea how these phones compare the the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80?

Apr 14, 2003 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 10
John: Yes, if you don't mind the long cord and 1/4" jack (you'll probably have to use the 1/8" adaptor that's supplied with the can). Also, the HFI-650 weighs in at 350 grams, so it's might be a little heavy for portable use. The pleather pads also encourage perspiration a bit more than velvet pads.

DsLFoolish: The HFI650 is not the most comfortable headphone in the world considering the weight (350 grams) and the pleather pads. But I still find myself wear them for an hour or so before taking them off for adjusment or a short rest.

jaskin: Sorry, haven't had a chance to listen to the DT250-80.

miroslav: Don't worry. If you happen to favor more analytical and flat sounding headphones (eg AKG 501, Senn 590) you will probably like the Trackmaster more.

Apr 19, 2003 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 10
How are the highs? Are they sibilant with vocals and bright with rock music?

Have you listened to the Beyer 770s, and if so, how do they compare in the bass and treble region?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back