Short Review: Thom Yorke- "The Eraser"
Jul 19, 2006 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Scotty757

500+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]Thom Yorke- "The Eraser"[/size]

B000FPYNR6.jpg

The Radiohead fanbase is almost as loyal as they come (save maybe the Tool Army, but they are another matter completely), and any Radiohead news spreads like wildfire amongst the fans. After announcing there would be no new album for some time, Thom dropped the news of The Eraser, a solo project, just 7 weeks before it was released. Needless to say, the whirlwind of anticipation for this album was chaotic.

Brooding, dark, and complex; Thom Yorke has made an album that is both immediately listenable and offers complexity that keeps giving after repeated listens. Thom's first solo effort is a journey through a jungle of electronica, backbeats, and swarthily distorted guitars. I guess the best analogy I can come up with for the sound is this: imagine if Thom, M83, and Squarepusher all got together, took a lot of acid, and made a record. As you can probably imagine, the result is gorgeous, self-conscious, paranoid, neurotic and absolute genius.

As usual, Thom's voice can be taken one of two ways: it can be listened to outright as the focal point of the music, or it can be viewed as just another instrument in the medley. It is almost completely unprocessed here (unlike on Radiohead albums), so lyrics can be brought out more easily, and Thom uses this in various instances to make his points more directly. He is as political as ever, but much more introspective here than on such Radiohead albums as OK Computer. "The more you try to erase me/ The more that I appear" he sings on the album's opening track. This could either be referring to his popular persona, the failing war in Iraq, or the environmental crisis of global warming. "So many lies" Thom repeats over and over in "Atoms for Peace," an obvious reference to the Iraqi war.

As a side-note, the packaging on this album is phenomenal. The artwork, entitled "London Views," is by Stanley Donwood. It pictures his medievalised vision of apocalypse in England's capital city and was carved on 14 pieces of linoleum with one small cutting tool. It is a well put-together digipack, and one that I am proud to own.

Tracks to be sure not to miss out on include: The Clock, Black Swan, The Eraser, and Harrowdown Hill. Highly Recommended.

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 31
i saw the vinyl for this at virgin - 20 bucks, argh! i passed, but indeed, the cover was very impressive.

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 31
It folds out several times into a mural...I love it.

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
It folds out several times into a mural...I love it.

rats, the one in the store was shrinkwrapped, i would have loved to have opened that vinyl - probably would have been big enough for a poster!

Jul 19, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 31
I'm gonna have to start looking at ebay for a vinyl release...should be good.

Jul 19, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 31
Jul 19, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 31
I gotta say I like it. As a whole it is very reminiscent of the song Idioteque, which is one of my favorite Radiohead songs. I'd recommend giving it a thorough listen at least 2-3 times, I found I noticed a lot more with each listen, and liked what I was noticing. It's grown on me after my initial run through.

Jul 19, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 31
Man
I have not heard the vinyl but will be picking it up at lunch, thanks for the heads up!!

..the CD I have heard, but will wait a bit to post impressions..

It is still growing on me somewhat..

Here is the 180G vinyl for $15.25 in anyone is interested in obtaining the LP
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 31
my favourite release of the year thus far. not one bad track.

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 31
Just got it in the mail today
smily_headphones1.gif
First impression, impressive!

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by SprySpectre
I'd recommend giving it a thorough listen at least 2-3 times, I found I noticed a lot more with each listen, and liked what I was noticing. It's grown on me after my initial run through.

I only listened to it two times and thus far I am not too impressed (though I love Radiohead). Hopefully it'll grow on me as well...

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 31
I would have to give a quick thumbs up to this album.

It is a nice indication of the radiohead songs that he added the the most of his signature too. He is a big part of why radiohead sounds the way they do. I used to think his influence mearly extended to the vocals (even though he is the frontman). He overshadows his own musical contributions with his unique vocal style. If you played this in a mix of radiohead with someone who is only vaguely familar with the band there is no way they would assume this is a solo album. It sounds like a radiohead album to me.

A must have for any radiohead fan.

Jul 20, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 31
Yeah, I really think it’s a great album. Also, I am a really big fan of most of Radioheads stuff. The only thing…is that I don’t think it has a lot of replay value. Eraser seems like it should have been released between Kid A and Amnesiac. So, I probably would have been more impressed with the album about 4 years ago.
frown.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by den
Yeah, I really think it’s a great album. Also, I am a really big fan of most of Radioheads stuff. The only thing…is that I don’t think it has a lot of replay value. Eraser seems like it should have been released between Kid A and Amnesiac. So, I probably would have been more impressed with the album about 4 years ago.
frown.gif

I definitely agree. I was going to add that comment to my post. Kid A and Amnesiac sound all the way.

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #15 of 31
Haven't heard the album yet, but Black Swan is a great record for headphones, love all those clicks and other random noises in the background. Love it, which suprised me, cos I haven't really been that big a Radiohead fan since Amnesiac...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back