Short Review: Sony MDR-CD380s
Aug 4, 2004 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Steve999

smooth, DARK
I got the Sony MDR-CD380s for $40 from B&H photo.

I was intrigued by j-curve's frequency response curve and some positive comments I had seen here at head-fi. I was hoping these could be great bargain phones and contenders in the $70 to $200 range.

I tried these with rock, classical and acoustic jazz. The CD380s have strong bass and highs that are mildly attenuated but still within hifi range. The bass can have a snarling visceral quality that can be pleasing.

The problem for me is in the midrange. The midrange of these cans was for me easily bested by the Koss portapros. The CD380 midrange is a little too tinged by the bass and a little sibilant I think, giving a bit of a chesty quality to the sound that takes it just a notch below my standard for true hifi sound. Further, the CD380s could not hold a candle to my Senn HD580s or Grado SR60s.

Also, I had a little problem with the comfort of the CD380s. They lie around the ears at the border of the ears and this bothered the edges of my ears slightly. It may be they loosen with time, though. Also, the material was a sort of dry stiff cloth that I don't get along with too well.

Overall, I like the CD380 sound better than several under-$200 headphones I can think of, as I expected from the frequency response curve, but I'm not too optimistic they will get much listening time with me. I'd put the sound quality in the good but not hifi range. I have perhaps eight headphones for under $200 that I feel are true hifi phones and that I like the sound of much better.

I suppose that in the $40 range you could consider the CD380s among the best headphones on the market, but I tip my hand to the Koss portapros (or KSC-35s) with only slight reservations. The CD380s did seem to produce a more surrounding symphonic effect than the portapros for classical music. Still, the more realistic and less chesty timbre of the portapros won out. The CD380s squeeze in as better than my Senn PX100s and not as good as my portapros for sound quality. I should add that I'd recommend portapros over several $100 to $150 cans I can think of, to include a few that have a following here at head-fi.

The CD380s are 40 ohms and 104 db sensitivity, so that they should be useful for portable or home use. They have a 10 foot cord, and pretty cheasy build quality.

Overall, I'd say these are utilitarian cans, a good buy for $40, but I'd have to recommend portapros (or KSC 35s if you can stand the earclips) or if you can stretch your budget the SR60s as better bargains. Where the better cans really step up their game above the CD380s is the midrange.

Oh well.
frown.gif

The end.

Aug 4, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 15
Nice write-up on the MDR-CD380, Steve999.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you compared the MDR-CD380 to the MDR-CD580 yet?

And which eight headphones in your collection under $200 (the Sennheiser HD 580, Koss Porta Pro and Grado SR-60 count as three of those eight) do you like better?

Aug 4, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks Eagle. I was truly disappointed about the CD380s but writing a head-fi post about it was at least some consolation. They are good $40 headphones, I suppose, but I was hoping for so much more...

Yes, I compared the CD380 to CD580. The best I can tell, they use the same drivers (40mm and exact same specs). Many people here don't like the CD580s and I don't recommend the CD580s to people because they are not mainstream, but I absolutely love the sound of my CD580s. They are what my ears have come to consider razor's-edge and ucompromisingly accurate and beautiful to listen to on good recordings, or what others think of as exceedingly bright and annoying. The unique design of the CD580s appears to have paid off big-time, at least for my enjoyment.

Many here might in fact prefer the CD380s to the CD580s, because the highs are significantly tamed on the CD380s. This is likely because the drivers on the CD580s are aimed with great efficiency and ingenuity right up your earholes. The mids on the CD580s are much, much better and there is a tremendous feeling of depth and realism for me with the CD580s. The bass is tamer but still strong on the CD580s and sounds more realistic and deep. Did I mention that I love the CD580s? For someone who really likes V6s, for example, CD580s are like much-improved-upon, 3D opened-up and smoothed-out V6s, at least to my taste. But again, I don't recommend them, especially not as an initial purchase for a novice headphone seeker.

Let's see, what have I got for under $200 that I prefer without reservation to the CD380s...

Koss protapros; Senn HD280s and HD580s; Sony V6, CD580s and CD780s; and Grado SR60s. Actually, I guess that's seven headphones. I love the sound of each of those headphones and they're quite different from one another. I have a few others that I prefer sound-wise to the CD380s but I might just prefer to slip on a pair of CD380s first due to comfort or convenience issues.

I got a lot of these really cheap -- $30 for the CD780s and $40 for the CD580s, for example. The highest I paid was $120 for the HD580s. I've compared these hands-on with nearly every head-fi animal at some point and am very happy with the current collection. Also, I've found tremendous improvement and variety in sound to be easily available through digital EQ, much moreso than is available through buying new expensive headphones. As a result, I have no upgraditis.

Unfortunately for my wallet though, I still remain obsessed to find the ultimate undiscovered headphone bargain. The CD380 isn't it. I fear I've hit the end of the road.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Nice write-up on the MDR-CD380, Steve999.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you compared the MDR-CD380 to the MDR-CD580 yet?

And which eight headphones in your collection under $200 (the Sennheiser HD 580, Koss Porta Pro and Grado SR-60 count as three of those eight) do you like better?

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 15
I'm glad the review rings true to you, and am glad to have your impressions as well. I feel as though I have provided a useful review, then.
cool.gif

I don't know what can be done to improve the comfort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelic
Absolutely agree with this nice review of CD380.
wink.gif

Btw, I have the same comfort problem with them. Any advice for solving this?
earpad material change, etc.?
Regards,
ANgelic

Aug 4, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 15
The pleasure is mine - your review is really nice, objective, with correct, exact view of point, describes the main positive/negative characteristics of this headphones, IMO.
I would like to ask you - did you notice any changes, related with burn-in of this headphones? It is very important to me, because before I saw this nice forum, I didn't believe in burn-in, but now I think it is true.
wink.gif

Especially I notice some litlle changes at midrange charasteristics of CD380. Just hope I not imagine this, because my source is really low-end. I would like to thank you in advance for any comments about this.
Regards,
ANgelic

Aug 4, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 15
i've had the ksc-35s for a few days now, and i've listened to them in the subway, on wall street, near a crying baby, etc - and none of that drowns out the delicious tones from these clips. the bass is nice and grado-y, just the way i like it. plus, they actually don't bother me even though i wear glasses - something i can't say for wraparound ports. there was slight irritation where ear hit plastic on an extremely humid day - that was probably due to my ears trying to sweat past an impermeable plastic clip - and today it's hot but not humid, and the irritation is gone.

so yep count me among the Koss converted.

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 15
Jahn -- I agree, KSC-35s / portapros are the way to go in the $50 and under price range (unless you can snag an unusual deal on a normally more expensive phone). There's no substitute for hearing it for yourself.
wink.gif

Angelic, I sent you a private message about my views of burn-in -- it's an endlessly controversial subject, and I don't want this to turn into a contentious burn-in thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 15
I would suggest that the KSC-35s, CD380s, PX100s and portapros may be superior, though they are open rather than closed. Um, IMHO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgraphics
What about sennheiser hd-202 or 212. Both in that range or cheaper. How would they compare.

Aug 5, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 15
Steve999,

If you're going by the j-curve graphs, maybe you might like the MDR-CD2000. I have a pair. If you're interested in listening to that 'phone, please PM me with a name and address, and I will loan that 'phone to you. Tell me what you think, then return it to me. I may also get Mike Scarpitti to listen to it, too.

Aug 5, 2004 at 10:01 AM Post #12 of 15
i dont see why you are so disapointed about the sound quality when you are comparing something $40 to something $120. its rare for something to better than something else when its 1/3rd the price.

Aug 5, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #13 of 15
I was hoping the CD380s would at least be the best phones at their price point. The portapros and KSC-35s are better at the price point, IMHO. It is part of my great crusade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i dont see why you are so disapointed about the sound quality when you are comparing something $40 to something $120. its rare for something to better than something else when its 1/3rd the price.

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 15
It doesn't appear you said what rig you were using the CD380's on. Unless, I missed those details, somewhere. What source, DAC, Amp, what-have-you were you using to play over the CD380's?
I just acquired a pair of these in very good condition for $30 and they already sound good on my phone, but I'm going out on a limb and thinking they may be like my MDR-V700's in that they don't begin to sound great until amplified a bit. The specs I've come across DO SAY their power handling is 1,500mW (My V700's being 3,000mW), and on my Magni 3 they're going to have approximately, 2W on tap @ the 40 Ohm load they present. I'll give them a listen in a bit and get back.

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #15 of 15
My experience so far is that these are similar to my MDR-V700's, but their emphasis is on midrange presence and high end as vocals, guitars, piano and string instruments stand out more, while cymbal crashes are also more prominent within the musical program. The V700's have a reputation for being bottom heavy so this is a pretty obvious contrast. I have always, (and understandably, foolishly) tried to keep to a single set of cans, but I can see that I will be swapping back and forth depending on the content I am listening to from now on.

Listening to "Man in the Wilderness" by Styx, right now and the soundstage is very clear, string picking on the guitars is very clean, loving it! Even better, moving on to Alan Parson Project's "Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether" is absolutely, amazing--recording miracle!

An odd note is that these often hit low frequencies I don't recall hearing on my V700's despite the V700's allegedly reaching 5Hz, while the CD380's claim 10Hz.

Edit: And then I go and forget to state my rig. 🤪 This is on a Presonus Audiobox USB to a Schiit Magni 3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back