Short review on the Shozy px-m1
Feb 8, 2014 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

terry1109

100+ Head-Fier
A while ago, I was walking around a computer shopping mall meaninglessy, just a day of window shopping to kill time. Then I went pass an audio store, and I thought it doesn’t hurt to demo a few amp, DAP and earphone. But It was definitely a wrong move, because I was stunned when trying this px-m1, mainly due to its shape, size and the choice of either low or high gain, then when I checked the price, I immediately draw out my wallet and pay up immediately, and no question asked.

Enough with the talk, let’s get back the topic, the package was simple, with accessories such as an instruction, warranty card, usb cable, apple dock to 3.5 converter and the 3.5 to 3.5 jumper. What surprise me is the jumper differs quite a bit from those standard one which usually comes with the package, and i found out that the jumper is actually made of cardas copper cable mix with umicore silver cable, a hybrid cable mixed as an accessories included in an amp is something unique.  However, this is not the end of my surprise, which more are to follow.

The glossy black finish on the body gives it a sleek, sexy look, which makes it a bit high class. The overall body is made of aluminum, which makes it a light body, nut durable enough for daily use. The size is around 93mm x 58mm x 13mm, a slim yet highly portable package to carry around.  The shape is kind of a rectangular shape, but a slope on four corners, which makes it more like an octagon shape instead. The logo is not a marked onto, but carve deep in with great precision, something really unusual with portable amp. Its micro usb power supply makes it extremely handy to use, but it doesn't plug in completely with all micro usb cable, using the attached usb cable is recommended. And there is a light near the usb plug, which shows the charging states, red as charging and green as complete.

The 3.5 plug are smooth to plug and remove, and the gain toggle switch is smooth and crisp light to transit from low gain to high gain, or the other way around. The sound is full of surprise sis well, low and high gain provides 2 very different experiences, and both setting share similar sound signature, which is a reference/natural sound.

Low gain
A plain yet smooth sound, very relax is well. Something suitable for classic, jazz and vocal base music. It also a non-fatigue, which enables me to listen for long period of time without feeling, tired. The soundstage is not too large, a bit small for my taste, but the instrument positioning are accurate with great layering, clean and detailed. The frequency is well extended, along with a spacious sound, no too forward or laid back.

High gain
Something different yet similar to the experience on low gain, its feels more ‘juiced’ up. The bass is slightly deeper and punchier but remains well controlled. The sound is more dynamic, more tilted to a ‘3D’ soundstage, and the layering is slightly more spacious. The big drawback on the high gain is that the fatigue, I get tired a lot quicker than listening to it on low gain mode, which makes it a give or take situation when compare to the low gain.

Px-m1 is very neutral, and doesn't process a strong sound signature when compare to other amp. The simplicity and low distortion rate on the sound signature on the px-m1 is something rare in the market.  
The two stage gain is a nice set up, especially in an amp of its size. However, unless you are using low sensitivity or earphone with large diameter driver, low gain is a more suitable choice to use.

For conclusion, I would say the performance of this amp has surpassed its value. And its natural, reference sound signature provides a better tool which enables me to provide more accurate reviews. But one thing I got to complain, even though the natural sound signature may seems ass kicking, but I can be a bit dull or boring for some user after a period of usage. Even though setting the amp to high gain eases the problem, but short listening time bothers me. No proper solution to this problem so far, but it will definitely be an important kit in my audio arsenal.

May 22, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 2
I was wondering what your thoughts are if I used this amp for regular headphones? AKA non premium earbuds and headphones. Would it make a difference and if so what would be the best settings?

Thank you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back