Short Question bout caps
Oct 6, 2001 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pmikka

New Head-Fier
Hi
I got a short question bout caps.
In many Amps are film type such as polypropylene used.
Are that type like Fkp?
What is thy big differnz between FKP, MKP,FKC, MKS,MP 3 and MKH?
THX

Oct 7, 2001 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 17
You may want to try this question in the DIY Discussion area. Better chance for a good answer in there, I think.

Oct 8, 2001 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 17
What are you asking? Just what the ancronyms stand for, or what the difference between dielectrics is? One is a short answer, the other could take hours...

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2001 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 17
hello!
thought about that same question as well
is it only the difference in tolerance of the caps that´s important for the sound?
or more the physical structure of them?
thanks

Oct 8, 2001 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 17
Hmm...

Outside of things like ESL, ESR, DCL, PF, etc... People will say the main difference in reference to an analog audio circuit sound is dielectric absorption (DA). The most common of the film caps these days and has a very low DA is polypropylene.

Caps used in audio are in order of DA; polyester, polystyrene, polypropylene. The lowest DA is in teflon caps, and in the audio world these can go for an extreme amount of $.

FKP and MKP are used an awful lot.

You can find out tons of technical stuff at faradnet.com and capacitor.com if you wanna research some...

---------------

For other Americans that have no clue about european cap abbrevs...

MKP = metallized polypropylene
FKP = metal foil and polypropylene
MKT = metallized polyester foil
MKC = metallized polycarbonate foil
FKC = metal foil and polycarbonate
MKI = metallized polyphenylene sulphide

ALE = aluminum electrolytic
TAP = tantalum

Oct 8, 2001 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 17
While everybody seems to hate ceramics, I have
seen a lot of reason to believe the NPO/COG
dielectric materials are very good and handle
much higher frequencies than the polymer types.

While I would not use a ceramic as a coupling cap
(I don't want to use coupling caps at all), they
might be useful as high frequency alternatives to
polymer caps in bypass duty.

Has anybody actually compared them with their own
ears?

Oct 8, 2001 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Apheared

FKP and MKP are used an awful lot.

MKP = metallized polypropylene
FKP = metal foil and polypropylene

Can you say a little more about differences between these two? I understand from your description that mkp has a polyprpylene dielectric with a metal layer "damped" on it and fkp has two foils "rolled together" (is that correct?)

Is one of these two techniques considered better that the other or are they almost identical?

Oct 8, 2001 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 17
You got it. MKP is actually metallized right on one side of the polypropylene, whereas the FKP is a polypropylene and foil sandwich... which is better? dunno. MKP. that's my off-the-cuff decision, I have no idea what I'm talking about (but I like the whole self-healing prospect of the film being metallized directly)

You're asking me why, though?! I have no idea. Maybe someone else does.

It seems from my extremely limited research that it's just the way technology progresses. A thing exists, and this thing is the best way. Then another way comes about, that's better, cheaper, and easier to produce. One stops producing over time, as others (and yourself) gear up and reach production volume on the new way.

Which is why it's getting to be a bitch to get polystyrene and polycarbonate caps (no one makes the film anymore, when existing stock is depleted.. poof)

Oct 8, 2001 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 17
I have had great results with the Wima MKP (The Red) box polypropylene. Sometimes i bypass them with a lower value FKP (The Blue) Box types. Teflon i reserve for my most accurate projects that use like silver wire and the Like. Creamic types evean the NPO types are nonlinear with voltage and have can have Microphonic problems I avoid these in any Audio circuit. Silver Mica is alot better alternative to ceramics. Last but not least i still am convinced of the merits of BIG Quality low esr Electrolytics in Power Supply circuits. and i am evean liking them in Supper regulator circuits now days. and in Virtual ground Drivers Big Electrolytics are a must for me. And this is when used with any of the Buffers i have tried as VGD's This includes but not limited to BUF634, EL-2001,EL2008,EL2009,LT1210 CFB Opamp. Having Electrolytics in the mix of Varrious Film and foil capacitors Improve stability, sound better, and allow more Peak Current over a wider frequency range than eather type of capacitor on it's own, or the VGD on it's own.

Oct 9, 2001 at 10:23 AM Post #15 of 17
Budgie: Oh I am almost afraid to ask what you expected. This Photo was taken by a frend at the OCF (Oregon Country Fair) this summer late at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back