Short note about the difference of HD580 and HD600
Mar 15, 2002 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Keiso

100+ Head-Fier
Here's a quote from Wes Philips (you know, THE audio journalist):

"The HD 600 is a refinement of Sennheiser's long-lived (and superb) HD 580. When the company celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1995, it made a commemorative model of the 580 that substituted carbon fiber for the extruded plastic, the HD 580 Jubilee. The Jubilee was surprisingly less colored than the conventional 580, and this caused Sennheiser to re-examine the headphone looking for other areas to improve. The HD 600 retains the carbon-fiber ear-cup and bale and replaces the plastic screens from the 580 with stainless steel versions. In addition, by using computer modeling, Sennheiser is able to focus the neodymium magnets to better drive the duofol diaphragms -- the 600 is built to a 1dB tolerance as opposed to the 580's 3dB."

That should explain why the HD600 sound better than the HD580, even though they essentially use the same drivers.

It's just that I've read so many times now that people claim the HD600 are just a prettier version of the HD580.... with no sonical differences.

Mar 15, 2002 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Keiso

It's just that I've read so many times now that people claim the HD600 are just a prettier version of the HD580....

Well, I don't know about that.
tongue.gif

Nice info
cool.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 50
Yeah, Sennheiser have a history of tweaking their phones and creating new models that way. Another example is HD 545 vs HD 565. Almost the same story, metal screen better drivers mathing and overall minor sonic improvements.

The new thing here is the carbon fibre frame. I don't know how this affects sound, but compared to the 580s the 600s are a lot less microphonic. Tapping on the frame does not produce a loud noise. Also on bass heavy music you can feel (touch the frame) the vibrations of the frame of HD 580 but not on the HD 600s.
Don't know how this affects sound, but vibration damping is always desired.
I compared the two only once for no more than 15 min. Overall, it was tough to tell the difference, especially since I was not using my rig and records. Seemed like HD 600 has a touch tighter and better controlled bass.

Mar 15, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 50
Oh no... not again.
frown.gif

I firmly believe that if you own a 580 and are looking to upgrade, consider a headphone by another manufacturer. Beyerdynamic. Etymotic. AKG.

The 580 and 600 are so much alike you will drive yourself insane trying to tell the difference in blind A/B comparisons. They aren't exactly the same, but for all practical purposes they can fairly be considered equivalent headphones. Yes, even to "audiophile" standards.

Put the upgrade money into a new amp, tubes, different headphones, CD's, whatever.

Mar 15, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Oh no... not again.
frown.gif

I firmly believe that if you own a 580 and are looking to upgrade, consider a headphone by another manufacturer. Beyerdynamic. Etymotic. AKG.

The 580 and 600 are so much alike you will drive yourself insane trying to tell the difference in blind A/B comparisons. They aren't exactly the same, but for all practical purposes they can fairly be considered equivalent headphones. Yes, even to "audiophile" standards.

Put the upgrade money into a new amp, tubes, different headphones, CD's, whatever.

Agreed.

The only reason some people were upgrading to the 600s was that some earlier production 580s had the infamous connection problem, which was solved when 600 was released and on newer 580s.

Mar 15, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 50
Quote:

Oh no... not again.
frown.gif

We are not talking about upgrading from HD 580 to HD 600 here. I started this thread because I've heard people stating that there are no differences between the HD 580 and the HD 600 except from the frame material, with you being one of them.

Maybe you and many others can't hear the difference, but I've also heard from equally many people who claim they can. I just want to clear it up with the physical differences. Whether people can hear the difference or not is up to them.

With you being a HD 580 owner, maybe your words aren't the most objective ones either.

Mar 15, 2002 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by blr

Agreed.

The only reason some people were upgrading to the 600s was that some earlier production 580s had the infamous connection problem, which was solved when 600 was released and on newer 580s.

Actually, even the earlier models of HD 600 had the connection problem, if you are referring to the problem with the wires keep falling out of the cups.

Mar 15, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 50
Well, I just know that one of these two headphones is in my destiny once I have money, but is the HD600 worth $30 more? I'm still not sure, but that's the price differential over at meier-audio.

Mar 15, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 50
Well, that's what I've been thinking as well. Like Nick says, the difference is not audible. And personally, I found the HD 580 to be comfortable, since the frame has less pressure.

And to be honest, I think the HD 580 looks better
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero
Well, I just know that one of these two headphones is in my destiny once I have money, but is the HD600 worth $30 more? I'm still not sure, but that's the price differential over at meier-audio.

I'' tell you why I got the 600s.
First I got them pretty cheap, although I could get the 580s even cheaper.
Second, I knew that if I get the 580s I'll always ask myself the same question, i.e. how much I'm missing. Knowing myself, I decided to go directly to the 600s instead of thinking over and over again and finally upgrading anyway.

Mar 15, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 50
hehehe, So... Having both the HD565 and the HD580, I should be able to get almost a hybrid HD600 by putting the HD580 drivers into the shell (with metal backs) of the HD565... interesting

[Edit]

Perversley... I've just done this mod, and there does seem to be a difference... (to me) the bass is heavier (definetly) and the mids seem to be slighty richer... this might just be a faulty sonic memory... maybe someone else with the same 'phones as me could give it a go too, and back up... or deny my claim?

Mar 15, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

If I had a HD580 right now, I wouldn't think about buying an HD600 unless my HD580 broke. However, I think its worth a newbie's effort in researching the difference in HD600 and HD580 headphones because the minor differences in the sounds become more noticeable after prolong use. Personally, I find the HD580 sound more favorable to my taste.

As far as I know, Keiso's story about the HD600 is about right. The story behind the HD570, HD575, and the HD590 is suppose to be much more interesting, but I don't remember the details.

Mar 15, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Keiso
And to be honest, I think the HD 580 looks better
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad i'm not the only one that thinks so!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back