shopping in manhattan
Mar 6, 2003 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

giovanni

100+ Head-Fier
I can't find a place that has a good selection of headphones amplifiers in manhattan, Does anyone know any ? I want to buy one for my hd-580, but I'd love to be able to listen to them a bit before I make a decision.

thx,
giovanni

Mar 6, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 6
Stereo Exchange on Broadway at Houston had both the grado and creek headphone amplifiers the last time I was there. Harvery also carries both, but I don't think they have them on hand to demo.

I'm not sure how pleasant an experience you'll have at either place, if that matters to you.

Mar 6, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 6
Sound by Singer, near Union Square, has the X-Cans V2 set up so you can audition it with the entire Grado lineup from SR-60 through RS1 -- they also carry the Grado amp, but I don't recall it being set up. The X-Cans is hooked up to an Arcam CD player, and I think that they would have no problems with you bringing in you own phones to sample with the amp.

Mar 7, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 6
thank you both for the info. I am definetly going to check them out. Interesting that you mention the X-Cans V2. I, of course had never heard about it (did I mention I am new in this headphones world?), but someone recently posted about getting one of these so I went and checked it out on the web: wow, it looks pretty damn cool !!! Even though. I have to say the Gilmore isn't bad looking either
smily_headphones1.gif
I wish I could listen to one of these ...

best,
giovanni

Mar 7, 2003 at 10:11 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by shafu
Sound by Singer had a private room with some JM lab Grande Utopia set up when I was there a several years ago. Perhaps you can audtion them out too!
very_evil_smiley.gif

They have the Grande Utopia Berylium in there now. Sweet sounding speaker. Big improvement over the original grande utopia. They have some great stuff in that store. Too bad Singer is such an *******.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back