Shopping in Japan?
Oct 12, 2005 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

echan15

New Head-Fier
Hi All - I was wondering if anyone has had shopping experiences in Japan - I am going to be making a short stop in Osaka soon and I am dreaming of all the headphones and electronics I'll be able to find there . . . does anyone have Japanese shopping experiences they can share? Are there headphones that will be a much better deal than we can get in North America? This is a good chance to pick up some Audio Technica's perhaps
smily_headphones1.gif
? I'd love to hear about what you'd be on the lookout for or looking to buy for some ideas . . . or some advice from Japanese head-fiers?

Oct 12, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 32
I was in Japan in Nov of last year. I ended up getting a pair of AT A500s and Sharp MD33s (if I had more money back then I would have splurged for more).

Go to Den Den Town in Osaka. It's kind of like the equivalent of Akihabara in Tokyo. It's just a street lined with electronic shops. Visit the big stores (Joshin, Yama something) to get an idea of the prices, they generally have a wall of headphones somewhere in the store (I remember commonly seeing ATs, Sonys, AKGs and some STAX). Sometimes you might hit a clearance, I was there when they were getting rid of the Sony CD3000s (~$300 but I couldn't afford it).

After you get a general idea of the prices, start hitting the small audio only shops. That's where I found most of the deals (got my A500 for 8500yen where big stores were selling for 9800yen), and they usually have higher end stuff for you to try out
icon10.gif

Just take your time to look and you'll find something for cheap. I spent 6 hrs on the train from Kyoto to Akihabara (1 day round trip) just to visit the stores again hehe

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 32
I wrote a post but that was mainly in Tokyo. Honestly, I'd imagine Osaka would have pretty much everything Tokyo would have, except for the more rare used stuff.

Bottom line is unless you're going for audio-technica or Stax, everything else is cheaper outside of Japan. Do your research before you go. You aren't likely to find the best prices just walking into random shops. Check out Yahoo Japan auctions (generally) for an indication of market prices.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...an#post1435132

Best regards,

-Jason

Oct 12, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 32
Thanks guys this is quite helpful. I guess it does make sense that most headphones are more expensive in Japan so perhaps I will go the Audio Technica route . . . I'm hoping to just be bewildered by the selection because there seems to be a lack of anything here in Toronto . . . keep any more suggestions/experiences coming!

Oct 12, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 32
I was in Japan a few months ago and did a bunch of gadget store browsing, the Akihabara thing, etc. It was a lot of fun and there is an amazing selection available, and stuff you don't see in the US. But... I really didn't see many good deals with respect to pricing. The best I saw was about the same as the US, and often prices were considerably higher. I just couldn't find any reason to purchase in Japan when I could get the US version of the same thing for less, and with no duty hassles. Maybe you might be able to find a deal in some smaller shops, but for me it was more of a fun window-shopping experience than anything else.

Oct 12, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 32
I got my ATH AD900s at Sound Pals in DenDen Town! There are a few great hifi shops thereabouts. Also, be sure to stop in at Yodobashi Camera in Umeda because they have frickin' everything (it's a good place to pick up cameras and electronic dictionaries, too... but they havea good sound department). I don't know about now, but they had some L3ks on display 4 or 5 months ago. You can snag some Eggos or some FC-7s at least while you're there. You'll also have the unique chance to audition all of them at once because every shop worth its salt has floor models for most of their headphones. A lot of places will have the full non leather or wood AK line out to listen to, along with sony, akg, sennheiser, and koss. I've also seen fostexes and pioneers. One of the shops in denden town even has Staxes out to audition. I would recommend going to Sound Pals first because they are small, and quiet (you won't get this auditioning headphones in yodobashi). And I got a super deal on the AD900 there. 200 bucks new!

You might check shinsaibashi as well if you want to see some hip clubs/clothing stores. There are some really good restaurants there too. Gotta do kaitenzushi, mos burger, and especially okonomiyaki if you get the chance.

Sorry to ramble. give us an update with what you get/pictures of strange things you eat. I'll post anything should my memory be jogged.

Oct 12, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 32
That sounds awesome . . i'm getting excited just picturing it. mmmmmmm 900's . . .

Thanks for the other suggestions too re: restaurants and clothing stores. when you say check out shinsaibashi, is that a street or a neighbourhood or something? ie how would i find it on a map?

I'll try and get some good pics while i'm there heh heh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo
I got my ATH AD900s at Sound Pals in DenDen Town! There are a few great hifi shops thereabouts. Also, be sure to stop in at Yodobashi Camera in Umeda because they have frickin' everything (it's a good place to pick up cameras and electronic dictionaries, too... but they havea good sound department). I don't know about now, but they had some L3ks on display 4 or 5 months ago. You can snag some Eggos or some FC-7s at least while you're there. You'll also have the unique chance to audition all of them at once because every shop worth its salt has floor models for most of their headphones. A lot of places will have the full non leather or wood AK line out to listen to, along with sony, akg, sennheiser, and koss. I've also seen fostexes and pioneers. One of the shops in denden town even has Staxes out to audition. I would recommend going to Sound Pals first because they are small, and quiet (you won't get this auditioning headphones in yodobashi). And I got a super deal on the AD900 there. 200 bucks new!

You might check shinsaibashi as well if you want to see some hip clubs/clothing stores. There are some really good restaurants there too. Gotta do kaitenzushi, mos burger, and especially okonomiyaki if you get the chance.

Sorry to ramble. give us an update with what you get/pictures of strange things you eat. I'll post anything should my memory be jogged.

Oct 12, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 32
generally, I navigate and refer to places by their train station names. You can take the Keihan to Yodoyabashi and change to the Midosuji line and go to Umeda. I don't remember for sure how to ride out to DenDen town or shinsai bashi. I think it requires changing lines again. I only went to both of those places once while in Japan.

I'm going to ask some of my friends there as soon as I can so we can get you some directions maybe...
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 32
no prob. I'm just sorry that i can't remember a little more exactly how to get there. I got lost the day I went. It's an interesting neighborhood to walk around in, I think.

Hey, be sure to eat Takoyaki while you're in Osaka, too. It's available everywhere.

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 32
1. Almost all electronics more expensive than via mail-order in USA (USA mail order source). Some audio and special Japan only gear are the differences. For example digicams are more expensive, so are computer components, etc.

2. Bring Cash. lot of cash. Not cheques. Not credit cards. Cash. You'll need lots of it

3. Prepare to spend time finding shops, even when you have the exact address, unless you are familiar to Tokyo

4. For AV stuff at good prices: Fujiya-Avic http://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 32
Ok. last time I'm double posting... hehe

I asked a friend and she says that she thinks you can ride the sakaisujisen and get off at ebisu station. That should put you right in the middle of denden town. Remember to check out Sound Pals at least. There is also another store that has a lot of older stereo equipment in a room on the fourth or fifth floor,... but I guess that would be interesting only if you were living in Japan...

And if you want to go to Umeda for yodobashi camera, you can get off at the JR osaka station on the loopline, or the umeda station on midosuji.

While you're in Umeda, you oughta walk over and check out the Umeda Sky Building. Gorgeous view from the open air observatory there at night.

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 32
hehe. you won't have to worry about knowing the address this time at least
biggrin.gif
, 'Denden town' is one main drag of a street. You go left, then right. Neighborhoods on the otherhand go by some x丁x目 system. Like grids dividing up wards instead of streetnames with addresses.

Yeah, that's another thing. You can use your card in big stores (if it has a plus logo at least), but you'll want to have cash for just about everything else. Surprisingly, if you find yourself cashless after the post office ATM has closed, you can always charge at lawson's station convenience stores...

Peace and I hope you enjoy Osaka. I wanna go back so bad!
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back