Shopping for a jack-of-all-trades open headphone.
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RainbowTylernol

New Head-Fier
So, I'm shopping around for a pair of open headphones, (preferably in 500$ or less range, but I could stretch it a little), that is a good all-rounder. I need something that will sound great with everything from vinyl records on vintage amps, to guns shots and explosions on my gaming PC. The music I listen to is really all over the place in terms of genres as well. 

So far I've got my eye on a set of HD650s, but I've also heard good things about Audio Technica's AD2000X, and AKG's K702.
Any good advice would be great help for making my decisions.

Also if it's any help, my main listening source for these will be my PC for the most part; I'm running an Asus Xonar Essence STX so I shouldn't have any issues with high impedance cans.  

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 11
  So, I'm shopping around for a pair of open headphones, (preferably in 500$ or less range, but I could stretch it a little), that is a good all-rounder. I need something that will sound great with everything from vinyl records on vintage amps, to guns shots and explosions on my gaming PC. The music I listen to is really all over the place in terms of genres as well. 

So far I've got my eye on a set of HD650s, but I've also heard good things about Audio Technica's AD2000X, and AKG's K702.
Any good advice would be great help for making my decisions.

Also if it's any help, my main listening source for these will be my PC for the most part; I'm running an Asus Xonar Essence STX so I shouldn't have any issues with high impedance cans.  

In this price range for a Jack of all Trades headphone I personally would be almost dead set on the HE-500. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 11
x2 K702

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 11
Take a look at the SoundMAGIC HP200, better than the HD650 IMO

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 11
Ended up going with a set of HD 700s. I found a pair on sale on Amazon for 650 with tax+shipping included. (Which isn't a far cry from 500+tax+shipping) And a pretty amazing deal for headphones that retail at $999.

Based on purrin's review, the sound signature seems to be exactly what I'm looking for in a headphone. Pretty excited to give these a listen. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 11
  Ended up going with a set of HD 700s. I found a pair on sale on Amazon for 650 with tax+shipping included. (Which isn't a far cry from 500+tax+shipping) And a pretty amazing deal for headphones that retail at $999.

Based on purrin's review, the sound signature seems to be exactly what I'm looking for in a headphone. Pretty excited to give these a listen. 

how do you like em? slash are you getting an amp/dac for em?

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 11
  Is it possible to get positional surround sound from them when you're gaming? Given the price you paid, I hope so. Isn't that all software anyways?

download razer synapse & surround sound drivers now from: http://www.razerzone.com/surround (only free until end of December).

however, honestly I haven't noticed a difference using those drivers & my super clear HE400 could pick up the distortion from the drivers. really all you need is great sound stage & should be good enough for positional clues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back