Shootings at my school (Virginia Tech)
Apr 17, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #61 of 213
MD1032, I remembered you posting about how you go to VA Tech. As soon as I saw the article on CNN a few hours ago, I thought of you (although at the time, I couldn't remember your username.) Glad to see you're okay. I hope your friend gets better soon. Can't even imagine what such a tragedy would be like around me. Anyway, condolences to the dead.

I'm really surprised at how uncivilized Head-Fi is becoming recently, even though it's just a few posters.

Apr 17, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #62 of 213
I'm also a Virginia Tech alum, and remember it as one of the most beautiful, relaxing, and inspiring places I've ever lived. Many other students agreed with me -- its community was the most highly spirited group of people I've ever been honored to call myself a part. It might sound trite to many people, but I really, truly love Virginia Tech, and it so deeply saddens me to see this kind of disgusting atrocity occur there.

My heart goes out to everyone there who lost a loved one, friend, or teacher today. I hope that the university community will find a way to regroup, rejoin, and let this event enter the history books with due reverence, but without losing the sense of belonging and purpose provided by this incredible institution.

- Warren

Apr 17, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #63 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question is what makes "psychotic, sick minds". Jack Thompson argue that violent video games are a cause, and unfortunately, studies do show at least a short term increase in aggression after exposure to violent video games. The long term effects are unknown.

Your argument about the decrease in the violent crime rate is worthless for evaluating the effects of GTA and other violent media on kids' minds. Other factors (drugs, gangs, incarceration rate, etc) have a much greater effect on the violent crime rate, and changes in those factors have been the prime mover in bringing the crime rate down. The effects of video games on the violent crime rate, if there are any, would be washed out by these changes.

Using video games as the scape goat won't help matters. It goes well beyond games.. Only a unstable person would be influenced by a game or movie..

Apr 17, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #64 of 213
What!

Why would anyone do something as awful and sick like that? Those people are a disgrace to the human race..

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #65 of 213
I heard that the Virginia State Legislature outlawed all guns on campuses, a year ago. If that's true, it means that even university security personnel, and campus police were disarmed. And, if that's true, it means that students became helpless victims of any armed nut that decides to kill students. Leaving a campus totally unprotected, if that was done, should ID such legislators as the fools that they are. This reminds me of the nut that walked through a Long Island train executing passengers, as he went along. And, doing so with the full knowledge that none of the passengers had a concealed weapon, since gun ownership in New York is illegal. The plane hijackings on 9/11, by nuts with box cutters, is another example of this stupidity (i.e., lack of forsesight). Jet liners' pilots' entry doors were so fragile, despite a long history of hijackings, that the nuts were able to easily push their way in. How difficult would it have been to reinforce the doors, and thereby secure the pilots. But, the blame game points solely at the hijackers, with hardly a hint of accusation being directed at the airline corporations, or at their regulatory government agencies. As for minimizing the killing of innocents, such as these students, how about arming some select students and professors, with concealed weapons. Staff members who have had military experience, and some select ROTC students, following sufficient training and licensing, could offer some protection in these situations, and also prehaps dissuade such nuts from acting; i.e., they'd never know who among their intended victims is armed.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #67 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard that the Virginia State Legislature outlawed all guns on campuses, a year ago. If that's true, it means that even university security personnel, and campus police were disarmed. And, if that's true, it means that students became helpless victims of any armed nut that decides to kill students. Leaving a campus totally unprotected, if that was done, should ID such legislators as the fools that they are. This reminds me of the nut that walked through a Long Island train executing passengers, as he went along. And, doing so with the full knowledge that none of the passengers had a concealed weapon, since gun ownership in New York is illegal. The plane hijackings on 9/11, by nuts with box cutters, is another example of this stupidity (i.e., lack of forsesight). Jet liners' pilots' entry doors were so fragile, despite a long history of hijackings, that the nuts were able to easily push their way in. How difficult would it have been to reinforce the doors, and thereby secure the pilots. But, the blame game points solely at the hijackers, with hardly a hint of accusation being directed at the airline corporations, or at their regulatory government agencies. As for minimizing the killing of innocents, such as these students, how about arming some select students and professors, with concealed weapons. Staff members who have had military experience, and some select ROTC students, following sufficient training and licensing, could offer some protection in these situations, and also prehaps dissuade such nuts from acting; i.e., they'd never know who among their intended victims is armed.

you are right. history supports this idea.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #68 of 213
MD1032, Im glad youre safe. This is absolutely horrible, I can't believe some people have it in them to commit such horrible crimes. My deepest sympathies and condolences to all affected by this horrible tragedy.
Edit: To the few posters turning this into a political debate and pointing fingers and scapegoating, this is very distasteful and inappropriate. Please refrain from such speak in this thread.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #70 of 213
Sorry, didn't mean to post something political. Humbly withdrawn, and I thank God that those that are alright are alright (my cousin is VT's kicker, and we were worried until we were able to get a hold of him to find out that he was ok), but my prayers go out to those were injured or killed. God (or whoever you believe in) be with us all.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #71 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stricter gun laws will not prevent someone that decides that they want to kill people with a gun from getting one. If anything, it could make it more exciting for the sick bast**d, the anticipation of the act.

Agree'd, gun control laws are not very affective.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #72 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
I heard that the Virginia State Legislature outlawed all guns on campuses, a year ago. If that's true, it means that even university security personnel, and campus police were disarmed.

Reading the text of the bill, the ban did not cover police or any security personnel in the employ of universities. They are allowed to be armed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I DO believe in a gun law that bans guns from students, but one that bans them from security personnel? Stupid. Hell, my high school has a security officer who carries a standard issue .40 cal Glock.

As we found out today, police and security cannot be everywhere at once. College campuses can cover a lot of land, and the cost of saturating the area with enough armed security to make a difference in these instances is cost prohibitive.

Students, once 21, are also full fledged members of society. Why on earth would you have different laws for them?

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #73 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

mikeg, jude was just here asking we not make this political. as tempting as the inherent irony of your post is (solution to gun violence = more guns for everyone), i'm going to leave it at: what a huge shame this is. a horrible, horrible shame.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #74 of 213
I have to admit discussing a shooting and not talking about guns is a little weird. That said, some of you guys and your arguments scare the **** out of me.

Can we just morn a sec before the rest?

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #75 of 213
what is weird is that he hung around campus for more than 2 hours after killing the girl in the dorm. normally killers will get out of town, and indeed this is what the university and police had expected. sad story, and i think the story will become even sadder as it unfolds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back