Shootings at my school (Virginia Tech)
Apr 16, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #16 of 213
unsettling news...

Glad you're alright. Hope you've called your folks.

May those that are injured have a speedy recovery and peace be with the untimely departed and condolence to their friends and family.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #17 of 213
I love how one of the students told a reporter that it's 'kind of' disturbing
confused.gif
Kind of!!

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #19 of 213
This is horrible. Stay safe.

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #24 of 213
I just got home from work and heard about this...it's really terrible. I couldn't imagine what the victims and witnesses must have went through.
What is wrong with people?

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #25 of 213
It saddens me deeply when things like this happen, no, when things like this are allowed to happen. Our society is very confused.

How does our society let things like this happen? I see videos of police officers sitting outside in their cars, and not going in and doing anything. I hear student reports that students allowed themselves to be lined up and shot execution style. I hear that there were 2 hours between incidents in which nothing was done. Are we that unprepared and incapable of confronting things like this? It's not as if this is the first school shooting or murder-suicide in the united states. Do people just keep thinking it won't happen here? Will we learn? Will emphasis ever shift from feeling safe to being safe?

As a college student, in a closeby state, things like this strike very close to home. This is very scary for me. Very. And once again, I reevaluate whether to illegally (despite my concealed carry license) carry a weapon, or be defenseless in case of a nutjob like this, who will obviously not be stopped by laws.

I am very tired of having to choose which I fear more..the law or the criminals. If something like this happened at my school, I'm not sure what would be worse...being killed, or surviving with knowledge that I could have at least had a chance to stop it.

Quote:

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Del. Dave Nutter, R-Christiansburg, would not comment Monday because he was not part of the subcommittee that discussed the bill.

Last spring a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, despite having a concealed handgun permit.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #27 of 213
This is truly a disgusting and tragic time. Where the heck can people really feel safe these days? Whackos everywhere you look nowadays.... my heart is heavy for those touched by today's shootings.

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #28 of 213
Front page news on CNN. I don't even know what to say. Glad everyone here who is at campus/knows someone on campus is ok so far.

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #29 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is truly a disgusting and tragic time. Where the heck can people really feel safe these days? Whackos everywhere you look nowadays.... my heart is heavy for those touched by today's shootings.

There is no such thing as "safe". Never has been. The only question is "Will America learn the correct lessons from this tragic event?".

I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now way....
That is just horrible. Only cowards would take it on innocent people. 33? guess they were going for a record...

I doubt he even cared.

Frankly, we've just been lucky up to this point. Any of the school shooters from last year could have easily racked up death tolls to match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back