Shoot, my house just got broken into
Dec 10, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My (Richmond, BC) house got broken into two months ago. We live in a 'rich neighbourhood', and everybody drives Lexuses and Mercedes -- so I guess the thief expected us to have a lot of goodies in the house.

He broke in through the window, crawled in, knocked over all of our ceramic cups (we keep them on the windowsill). Then he proceeded to ransack every nook and cranny of the house.

What did he get for all his troubles? Around 10 $2 bills, and around $50 in unopened Chinese New Year's red envelopes. He must've been expecting to haul away at least a few thousand in jewelery.. fortunately my parents don't care for it. Plus we don't have many valuables in the house -- a big TV, but obviously they can't haul that away. Good job robbing the house the only house in the area with cheap cars (a '91 Ford Aerostar and a '92 Jeep)..

I wasn't in BC though, so my gear wasn't there. Thank goodness!

However, my parents don't feel safe in the house anymore.. sucks.

I do live in Richmond and I suppose my neighborhood is considered "rich" too. My house is quite posh looking, to be honest (it's my uncle's house).

Where abouts was your house? Mine is around No. 3 and Blundell.

Dec 10, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricola_pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do live in Richmond and I suppose my neighborhood is considered "rich" too. My house is quite posh looking, to be honest (it's my uncle's house).

Where abouts was your house? Mine is around No. 3 and Blundell.

Right here:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en...m=1&iwloc=addr

It's in the area with new highrises and townhouses.

Actually very close to you.. maybe it's the same thief!

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) Install the alarm keypad(s) in an unlikely place such as in a closet or adjacent room or (my favorite), behind a picture frame on the wall somewhere. You can also have a dummie keypad in the "typical" location to trick the burglar as well.

What burglar is going to think to look in a closet or behind a picture for a keypad?!

The guy that robbed my grandmother. I think it would be more important to place the keypad where you can't be observed accessing it. The guy that robbed my grandmother knew where the keypad was because he watched her turn the alarm off from a window.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #20 of 29
get a stun gun... not the ones cops use that shoot darts because if u miss u might be Fed, also if you really want the burglar to pay... get bear spray its supposed to mess bears up so imagine what theyll do to a man haha

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Mauler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get bear spray its supposed to mess bears up so imagine what theyll do to a man haha

LOL.
biggrin.gif
that'd be priceless to see on a video.

Ultimate tool, a death trap. Legal, not really. Ethical, no.

Tasers can f you up though.

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #22 of 29
I had my '71 BMW Bavaria broken into in the Shea Stadium "Park and Ride" and they stole my 10 y.o. sneakers that I had in the front seat (to change into from work to college) in the late '70's. I had an $800 Blaupunkt radio in the glove they didn't even see.

What kind of person breaks into a car without looking in the glove compartment? A crack addict, that's who.

The glass window had to come from Germany and cost me $275 which was a lot in '79.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a dog. If you've thought about one, this would be a good time to hit the shelter and pick one up. You don't have to get a giant and/or threatening one, most any dog will make a burglar wary. And dogs make pretty good pets, anyway.

Also, it'd be a good idea to secure your valuables better. Your place may have been cased for a future hit. Be careful.

set explosive bobby traps around the house. Just that the clean up will be alittle messy bcoz u have to clean the blood stains over the place latter. and u have to be careful not to activate them yourself.

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #24 of 29
Wow dude, this sucks.

If this happened to me, I'd worried about three things a lot:

1.) he will come back

2.) add that ^ with a gun

3.) any pets (plz say you don't have dog; I would cry to hear it got hurt)

I'm short of any solutions that the peeps above me got to first, but try not to be very paranoid about it, and if you decide to get a gun and you need to shoot him (her, them, it
blink.gif
, etc.), kill them. I could be wrong, but if like you wound somebody, they could later sue you for a lot, so it's best to finish them then and there.

I could be VERY wrong about that though, so I'll just wait for comments on that part
wink.gif

Or you could just pull off a Home Alone; that just came to my head.

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and if you decide to get a gun and you need to shoot him (her, them, it
blink.gif
, etc.), kill them. I could be wrong, but if like you wound somebody, they could later sue you for a lot, so it's best to finish them then and there.

I could be VERY wrong about that though, so I'll just wait for comments on that part
wink.gif

WOW! That's a bit extreme, don't you think?! The punishment doesn't fit the crime. Now if you and your family are in the house, and the burglar is also IN your house, that's a different story.

Sure, it sucks to be a victom of a break-in. You feel unsafe and violated all at the same time, and worried if it will happen again. But to kill over it just isn't the thing to do if nobody is home at the time.

I am an animal lover. I have 5 cats and if I could, wouldn't mind having a dog or two as well. Now if the burglar was to hurt them in any way or kill them, then this guy would be going down very hard, however not by killing him. I am a firm believer in paybacks, a.k.a. - pain and torchure. If I could get to him first, I'd kick his ribs in, kick and break his knee(s) backwards, smash his hands till they looked like roast beef with the heel of my work boots, and punch him in the throat for good measure, then I'd call the cops.

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa.. don't kill the dude, you'll carry the guilt on your back
Be sure to get him where it matters though (eg.. leg), then tie him up and ring up the cops

I'd have no guilt killing someone who invaded my home. No guilt at all. Depends on your personal value system I guess.

The problem is it would create legal issues (except in Texas, where they have the castle law). You definitely do want to kill the guy, so he doesn't have a disability claim against you, but if you're going to kill the guy, you should make it look like it was a struggle, or you thought he had a weapon, or something else that would invoke a reasonable self-defense defence. Stab him through the eye for instance. Something crazy.

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #28 of 29
I'm sorry about your break-in! We've had the same happen to us when we were living in Geneva, Switzerland. Luckily, they didn't take much! Those bastards broke in during the night and no one heard them. They were in on the ground and 1st floor while we sleep on the 2nd floor. Serves us right for having solid sound-proof doors!

Do you have insurance? Insurance covered everything and we had reinforced windows fitted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have motion sensing flood-lights all around the house, From what I understand thieves are much less likely to break into a well lit building.

Haha
biggrin.gif
It sounds like you live in some kind of high security prison. Do you have 4 meter high barbed-wire perimeter fences too?
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #29 of 29
I find it funny all of you guys started talking about guns and sprays and what not, I didn't get ROBBED, no one was home, what good is a gun?

And I have no idea what gun laws are like over here in Canada, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back