Shock therapy: electrostatic experiences
Feb 6, 2002 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
stax1.jpg

As part of a story too long to repeat, I recently heard and became an owner of electrostatic headphones for the first time. This model is very old (1975), but the North American distributor for Stax claims it gives the newer Stax models a run for their money. In fact he said he's tried to get Stax to use the diaphram in this model in a more modern enclosure and sell them for around $700. He also refurbishes older Stax units.
Anyway, I've been listening to this headphone a lot lately. The metal box alongside the headphones contains a transformer, and leads out the back connect to a regular power amp. In this case that means two 50w triode VTL's. Its a fairly quiet setup, with a very faint humm being the only complaint.
On their own I found the headphones to be maybe too bright sounding, although they resolved details like a MF'er. With an equalizer to boost the low frequencies, the balance is much better between the highs and lows, and the Stax seems happy to accept the extra responsibility, so whats not to like?

Right now I'm listening to a Frank Zappa CD 'The Yellow Shark' and a track called 'Outrage at Valdez.' With EQ added, I'd have to say this ancient pair of headphones is pretty damn amazing! On this song, theres a really low frequency sound that decays very slowly; very slowly. I'll be darned, but these electrostatics keep the decay in focus better than any of my dynamic headphones, even when I use EQ with them. You know at first I had my doubts about these headphones because I was comparing them flat, with my dynamic headphones also flat. I could hear that they were monsters of detail and resolution, but they seemed out of balance with the lower frequencies. Add EQ, and it turns my impressions upsidedown.. I'm thinking that electrostatics have a quality that maintains over long periods of time as opposed to dynamic headphones from say, the 70's, would sound to todays ears. And todays CD format.

So I'm kind of happily numb that I came across these Stax electrostatics. I'm listening to them in equal measure to my W2002's, and I dont feel they sacrifice much if anything to the audio-technicas. But again, thats after adding quite a bit of EQ boost at 31Hz and 62Hz. I thought the super thin Stax diaphrams might distort, but they seem fine with it.

I have no idea how much a relic like these Stax's would cost. Impossible to say. But if you ever see them on ebay, or in a garage sale next to some 'Vote for Nixon' memorabilia, keep an open mind! They arent just for classical.

Feb 6, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

I'm thinking that electrostatics have a quality that maintains over long periods of time as opposed to dynamic headphones from say, the 70's, would sound to todays ears. And todays CD format.

Funny you should say that. I still use my Yamaha HP-1 in my main stereo system. They were an orthodynamic design from circa 1977, and they still sound excellent. I prefer them to my Grados or my HD600. And they only cost around $80.

Those Stax look very similar to a pair I bought new around 1980, the SR40. Nice sounding phone, but a bit bright.

Feb 6, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 8
Hey Beagle, I tried to find a picture of the Yamaha HP1 but couldnt find one. But I did find this tidbit of a review of them:

"I have heard 8000 dollar headphones that was not much better. These are old. Bought in 1978, I have had so many different pairs of h.phones, and these will do it every time. Remember the Ns1000 Yamaha loudspeaker. The mids of these phones have more detail !
They are laid back. You hear it all. A class "a" product. Bass like a dynamic, highs of an electrostatic. Mids like a well tuned pair of quads. I want to buy a new pair, but was told by Yamaha engineers themselves, it would cost 50 grand to build one new pair..."

They sound good! And they werent cheap in 1978 either! I guess quality designs from decades ago are still great, electrostatic or dynamic. I'll admit that I like grooving on a pair of circa 1975 headphones. Now if I had them then, I might have spilled bong water all over them or something, so its just as well they came to me all these years later.

Feb 6, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 8
These HP 1 yams are planar magnetic aren't they?
I would love to see pics of the transducer design as my DIY phones are a planar field design,,love to compare notes.

Been listening to my diy units today with my Arcam cd 23 as a
source: AMAZED!
biggrin.gif

What do the Yams sound like, I have a pair of wharfedale circa1975 planars [being restored at the mo] these sound great.

I am a great fan of this transducer type as it really can seem to
offer the best of both worlds: dynamic bass[very] and electroatatic mids/highs with an added touch of dynamic weight.

I might add ,I am jealous of those vintage Staxes grrrr going to
have to go on a search now.

This place is SUCH a bad influence,
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Setmenu
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by setmenu
This place is SUCH a bad influence

I still get a kick when I see that kind of message posted. Its only been less than a year for me, but when I very first realized there was all this information and opinion on the internet about headphones I became totally engrossed in it. I posted the same things myself, 'what have you guys done to me!' etc.etc. and in those days I really meant it!
These days I just smile when I see those kinds of comments, especially when they're made by new people. I look at them and think 'how quaint'.. like it was a squirrel seen outside on a tree branch. I tend to forget that these people are sweating real sweat and spending real money, both of which they intended to keep before they found this place. I dont know why their misery strikes me as funny, but it does.

Feb 6, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 8
It's funny because it's true.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 7, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 8
The Yamaha phones were the darlings of the dynamic phone fans way back when. If I remember correctly, they did sound pretty good, esp. in the bass and midrange, and they had no real competition for the price, but the didn't fit everyone well and they broke easily. (I mean snapped in half.) These were a few years after Sennheiser had just released their first open design cans and the Koss Pro-4AA was the touchstone of quality dynamic transducers.

The Stax SR-40 was an electret condenser design, an effort to give the sound quality of the contemporary electrostats that MRael describes but sold at a much lower price. They were pretty close, but had less bass. Detailed, but they could get to you after a while; I remember listening to Leo Kottke strum a 12-string and thinking I'd never be able to hear again. Circumaural design, which for me meant sweaty crushed ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back