Shipping Grados to Canada??
Dec 18, 2004 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dshook

New Head-Fier
I have heard different things about whether Grados can be shipped from the US up to Canada. Does anyone know for sure or from experience, as I ordered some from Todd but am not entirely sure if I should be expecting them or not as I have not heard from him one way or the other.

If not, wheres the best place in Vancouver to pick some up??

Cheers

Dec 18, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshook
I have heard different things about whether Grados can be shipped from the US up to Canada. Does anyone know for sure or from experience, as I ordered some from Todd but am not entirely sure if I should be expecting them or not as I have not heard from him one way or the other.

Cheers

Mine were shipped from US to Canada -- no problems along the way. I'm sympathetic to Grado's concern for their dealers but there is no way that the massive premium they charge here for their phones is justified given the climbing canuck dollar. I refused to pay close to 500.00 CAD for SR-225s.

o

Dec 18, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 10
Actually, no authorised Grado reseller in the US will ship Grado products at all to countries that are listed in Grado's "restricted" list. That means that Todd, Headroom and most other authorised resellers will NOT ship Grados to any country where Grado and its international partners have authorised (official) importers or distributors in. Unfortunately, Canada is one of the countries in that list. So, Canadians, if you order Grado headphones from Todd, expecting them to arrive at your place, you will not receive them at all - in fact, the portion of your order containing any Grado products will be declined, and any payments for such items will not be processed, charged or credited.

Dec 18, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 10
Why does Grado do that? Why is there a restriction and why do the few Grado retailers in Canada that do exist (BBR is the only one in all of Toronto that I'm aware of) charge so much?

I mean, $130 CDN for SR60s is absolutely ludicrous. With the current Canadian dollar, that's $106 US, a full $37 (54%) more than the US retail price. Plus, we've got 15% sales tax in Ontario (some provinces even higher) while most of the US has only got about 5-8%.

Dec 18, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 10
From Headroom:
Quote:

Note to International Customers: Grado Labs has asked us to respect their distributor and dealer territories and decline all orders from these countries. We don't like it one bit, but we will comply with this policy and restrict shipments to the countries mentioned. Please address all dealer location requests, policy complaints, and infraction reports to: info@gradolabs.com

Buy it used or ask someone to buy it here and ship it to you.

Dec 18, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 10
I think Hi-fi centre carries the whole line. Why don't you just buy a used pair here or get one on ebay? Or if you really want a new one, you could probably get someone from the states to pick it up for you then mail it to you.

Dec 18, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd
Why does Grado do that? Why is there a restriction and why do the few Grado retailers in Canada that do exist (BBR is the only one in all of Toronto that I'm aware of) charge so much?

No one knows why Grado has this policy. It has been discussed previously in several threads. Usually the only rational economic reason to maintain and enforce segmented markets is to maximize profit (if one country is willing to pay $X for a product and another country is willing to pay $Y, segmented markets allow the producer to do that). However, it's pretty clear that Grado's international distributors are not choosing prices that would maximize total profit, and the ludicrous prices are keeping unit sales down. The only rational reason I've heard for why Grado continues to do this is that they do not want to grow too quickly and are using this as a way to throttle growth. Regardless of the reason why, it sucks for the consumer.

Your best bet is to buy a pair of Grados from the buy/sell forum here, on eBay, or pick up a pair of Alessandros (which are modified versions of Grados).

Dec 18, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshook

Cheers

Order from Alessandro They will ship to Canada. Their prices include shipping.
MS1 is equivalent to SR125
MS2 is equivalent to SR325
MS Pro is equivalent to RS1
All are actually better than the equivalent Grados.

Dec 18, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 10
Does Alessandro ship worldwide? If they do, it might be a good justification to go for an Alessandro instead. Their free shipping is an added bonus. Last time I checked, MS-1 was $99 shipped, MS-2 $299 shipped which I think are better than Grado at the same price even at US $. So I wouldn't worry if I am outside of US and wanting a NEW pair of Grado. If your price range falls in between them, then I would look at the buy/sell forum before ebay.

EDIT: oops.. I just repeated what the person right before me said.

Dec 18, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #10 of 10
I think their is a valid argument for buying alessandro products over grado. The worldwide shipping helps and also the little tweaks might be worthwhile for people who find some grado's too forward. Couldn't comment on the MS-PRO's as I have never ever heard them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back